Re: Unsubscribe link didn't work when forwarding email

Noemi_Aguilar
Level 2

Unsubscribe link didn't work when forwarding email

Hi - has anyone ever heard of unsubscribe links breaking when forwarding an email? If so, what would be a possible reason?

5 REPLIES 5
Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Breaking in what way?  Do they fail to resolve to the destination page?  Are they a one click solution or do they go to a form?  Is it an out of the box unsubscribe link or something customized?  There probably are things that can break if a custom unsubscribe solution was built that relies on tokens specific to the original recipient of the email but more detail is needed on the question.

Noemi_Aguilar
Level 2

If I click on the email's unsubscribe link (forwarded email), the link goes to a fallback page, instead of our customized unsubscribe form/landing page. This doesn't seem to be happening to the entire send though. For example, I forwarded the email I received to my personal email address (@gmail.com) to my work address (@ outlook client), and the unsubscribe link DID work as it should. So not sure if this may be an issue with the link / email / or email service provider.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Do you use conditional MSO css?  Sounds like the Outlook version of the code is fine but the non-Outlook version of the code is messed up in some way.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

First, do not use forwarded links as it will tag you as the wrong person.

Second, please post the URL from the email in question as well as the screenshot.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yeah, I agree. We should be so lucky as to have control over forwarded links.