Unsubscribe all contacts with same email for certain unsubscribe options

edarley
Level 1

Unsubscribe all contacts with same email for certain unsubscribe options

We are trying to get information to address a problem that we are having difficulty overcoming with the development of our preference center.  We have multiple records in Marketo with the same e-mail address for multiple valid reasons.  When we do unsubscribe all, then all records with that e-mail address has global unsubscribe set as well.  This is the exact behavior we want.  However, for our preference center, we also have categories that people can subscribe/unsubscribe to from the landing page.  We are trying to get that to behave in the same way as the marketo unsubscribe all worked.  If we set a category for one record then all records with that same e-mail address would be set.  We thought potentially some workflow could be written to accomplish this but we have not seen a means to do that. Does anyone have insight on how this can be accomplished? 

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Unsubscribe all contacts with same email for certain unsubscribe options

We are trying to get that to behave in the same way as the marketo unsubscribe all worked.  If we set a category for one record then all records with that same e-mail address would be set.  We thought potentially some workflow could be written to accomplish this but we have not seen a means to do that. Does anyone have insight on how this can be accomplished? 

The only way to synchronize custom fields in the way the system Unsubscribed field is synchronized (i.e. the Durable Unsubscribe feature) is to use a webhook to call a service that loops back in and updates all other leads w/the same email.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

The only way would be through a custom integration. The flow could be something like...

1. Person unsubscribed from one group of content

2. Smart campaign fires and webhook is called

3. Webhook goes to a server somewhere and does an API call to find all other records with the same email address

4. API call into Marketo modifies the preferences for the people that are returned.

You could use something like Zapier as the server, and write custom code in it. It's definitely not the most straightforward thing though. 

SanfordWhiteman

I don't think Zapier is capable of doing this synchronously (i.e. within the execution time of the webhook, so you get a clear success/failure result).

If you do this using a truly custom service, it can do the loopback calls in real-time when possible (although there is always the remote possibility that the API calls can't finish in 30 sec if the load on Marketo is too high for other reasons).

edarley
Level 1

Is there another service/App you could suggest that would help us reach this goal?

SanfordWhiteman

Not one that I'm allowed to mention due to Community rules. 🙂

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I'll mention it... http://flowboost.tk/