SOLVED

Unsubscribe Options

Go to solution
Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Unsubscribe Options

I'm starting the process to implement unsubscribe options. We want our base to decide if they want to unsubscribe from all marketing emails or limit the number of emails they receive in a month from us. Currently we send out 4 emails, 1 newsletter and 3 webinar invites. There are more emails if there is an event  we're promoting, but those emails are segmented and not sent to our entire base. We also want to have a field to ask why the person wants to unsubscribe. (Too many emails, Content isn't relevant, Bad timing, etc.)

Before setting up anything, I wanted to reach out for any dos or don'ts around unsubscribe options. Your comments are appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unsubscribe Options

Hi Amanda,

I also did the same last month, here is the page:

http://go.netronome.com/UnsubscribePage.html

My recommendation is when you design the form, you can use the fieldset to collect comment. (When a person select a certain answer from the radio button, you will have another dialog box showing up.)

http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Add+a+FieldSet+to+a+Form

And, try to land on another landing page is make sure if the person is not unsubscribe by mistake.

Good Luck,

Annie

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would still have a global unsubscribe form and create new boolean custom fields for each unsubscribe option (unsubscribe from all emails, unsubscribe from newsletters, etc.). Do not have the unsubscribe system field hidden on the form. Rather have an outside smart campaign that triggers from an unsubscribe form fill and then looks at which new custom field is true and then determines how they are unsubscribed.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There are tons of threads on this. See my site or look for "subscription center" or "email preferences" here.

• Must keep Unsubscribe All as suggested
  • Frequency toggle is really hard to operationalize.
  • Prefer setup to do
    • Newsletter
    • Webinar Invitation
    • Events
    • etc... and tell people how often you might send.

but there are a lot of considerations.

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Thank you!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The hardest point with preference centers is not to capture lead preferences. It is to make sure that, on the long term, Marketo users will not forget to use these preferences as filters in their campaigns.

So vote here if you want a solid mechanism to enforce the lead choices

-Greg

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

I voted! Thanks, Grégoire!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amanda,

I also did the same last month, here is the page:

http://go.netronome.com/UnsubscribePage.html

My recommendation is when you design the form, you can use the fieldset to collect comment. (When a person select a certain answer from the radio button, you will have another dialog box showing up.)

http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Add+a+FieldSet+to+a+Form

And, try to land on another landing page is make sure if the person is not unsubscribe by mistake.

Good Luck,

Annie

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Very useful. Thank You! Do you mark those that select "I'm no longer interested.." as recycle?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

My recommendation is when you design the form, you can use the fieldset to collect comment.

You don't need to create a separate field for the Other option.

You can use a Rich Text Area with a textbox inside.  Then append the textbox contents to the original field (UnsubscribedReason in your case) if UnsubscribedReason is Other.  The final value of UnsubscribedReason ​can be "Other: I don't have the time right now."

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Like it! Thank you!