SOLVED

Re: Unsubscribe Link Needed When Sending on Behalf of Sales Reps?

Go to solution
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Unsubscribe Link Needed When Sending on Behalf of Sales Reps?

Hi All,

I'm looking to get your take on unsubscribe links in outbound email cadences. Currently, our sales reps are using a system called Salesloft and send out emails to prospects in groups of 200 or so. The Salesloft website states that since emails are sent directly from your email server, they don't require unsubscribe links. I'm looking to transition our reps to MSI and enable them to send emails in bulk. Is an unsubscribe link required in this case?

Also, I plan to have some special cadences where I will set up the flow in a program, but the emails will still look like they are sent from the reps. Does this scenario require an unsubscribe link?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't agree with Salesloft. There are times that you don't need an unsubscribe, like emailing a potential client about contract revisions during negotiations, but generally when sales uses a tool to send emails, even if it's not "bulk" emails you want to include an unsubscribe.

Part of that is the increasing number of countries that are writing laws against SPAM (I know, you aren't SPAM. But SPAM is in the eye of the beholder and lots of people are going to think you are SPAM even when you aren't). Part of that is because I'd rather offer an opt out on an email than run the risk of being seen as a spammer and blacklisted (which is a pain and WILL impact your company's email server and ability to send ANY email, even just a one off "hey mom, work is boring" email, let alone an important "Dear CFO, I need more budget" or "Please digitally sign this contract and let's celebrate my HUGE commission" email).

In Canada, they regulate Commercial Electronic Messages, defined:

• is in an electronic format, including emails, instant messages, text messages, and some social media communications;
  • is sent to an electronic address, including email addresses, instant message accounts, phone accounts, and social media accounts; and
  • contains a message encouraging recipients to take part in some type of commercial activity, including the promotion of products, services, people/personas, companies, or organizations.

Notice that no where on there does it say "Bulk" or "mass" message. SPAM is no longer just mass mailing and You don't want to get fined under this law.

You should include an unsubscribe link in MSI. Period.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't agree with Salesloft. There are times that you don't need an unsubscribe, like emailing a potential client about contract revisions during negotiations, but generally when sales uses a tool to send emails, even if it's not "bulk" emails you want to include an unsubscribe.

Part of that is the increasing number of countries that are writing laws against SPAM (I know, you aren't SPAM. But SPAM is in the eye of the beholder and lots of people are going to think you are SPAM even when you aren't). Part of that is because I'd rather offer an opt out on an email than run the risk of being seen as a spammer and blacklisted (which is a pain and WILL impact your company's email server and ability to send ANY email, even just a one off "hey mom, work is boring" email, let alone an important "Dear CFO, I need more budget" or "Please digitally sign this contract and let's celebrate my HUGE commission" email).

In Canada, they regulate Commercial Electronic Messages, defined:

• is in an electronic format, including emails, instant messages, text messages, and some social media communications;
  • is sent to an electronic address, including email addresses, instant message accounts, phone accounts, and social media accounts; and
  • contains a message encouraging recipients to take part in some type of commercial activity, including the promotion of products, services, people/personas, companies, or organizations.

Notice that no where on there does it say "Bulk" or "mass" message. SPAM is no longer just mass mailing and You don't want to get fined under this law.

You should include an unsubscribe link in MSI. Period.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Awesome answer!

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Thank you for the thoughtful response Christina. When I logged into Salesloft, I was shocked to find that there were no unsubscribe rates. Then, I went to their site and found that there wasn't even an option to unsubscribe! I am planning to use the unsubscribe link, but I always appreciate the perspective of the community.

Ande_Kempf4
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Hi Conor Fitzpatrick -  We are in the process of implementing SalesLoft and I stumbled upon your original post  + Christina's. I 100% agree that unsubscribe links need to be visible in all forms of CEMs. How did you go about doing this? Did you require that all sales reps include a line of text with a link to your email preference page at the end of all of their emails?

Thanks!

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Hi Ande Kempf​, within the cadence options, there is a setting that reads "Include an opt-out link in all emails sent from this cadence." Unfortunately, I don't believe this setting can be enabled globally so you'll need to reinforce that with all your reps have them check that box on each of their cadences.

Ande_Kempf4
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Thank you Conor Fitzpatrick! I just found it. In case anyone else finds this post later and is dealing with SalesLoft cadences, here is screenshot of where you can find this:

pastedImage_0.png