SOLVED

Re: Unsubscribe Clicks counted as clicks?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsubscribe Clicks counted as clicks?

I just ran a report on an email I sent and it said 38 Clicks and 20 Unsubscribes. 

I ran a second report to get a list of those who clicked on the specific link CTA. That said 8.

To check I created a smart list that said -

Clicked link in email is (The Email)
in past  30 days
Member of List (The List)

Then looked at the campaign members and go into qualified leads which were 38. Looks good. Then I start to  look at each person's activity log  - Unsubscribes are in there?! I thought they weren't included in clicks?

I ended up going through all 38 and there were the 20 unsubscribes included. Im confused!

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi Nicola,

Run an Email Link Performance Report. From the "Setup" tab in the Report, select the email you'd like to investigate. This will show you which links were clicked on. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if they're supposed to be included. To be safe, I always exclude the unsubscribe link from the smart list. In your smart list criteria, try adding a constraint for Link is not, then click the dropdown and see if your unsubscribe URL pops up.

We use custom unsub links, so we always look at these filters. If you're doing newsletters or anything with anchor tags, you may want to exclude those as well.
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi Nicola,

Run an Email Link Performance Report. From the "Setup" tab in the Report, select the email you'd like to investigate. This will show you which links were clicked on. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, unsubscribe links (any link) in an email will be tracked. What I always do is to exclude such links from any triggers that shouldn't fire on unsubscribe:

Clicks Link in Email DOES NOT CONTAIN "unsubsc" should fix that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh -

Just to be clear, will the click on the Marketo unsubscribe link in our email templates be counted as a click or unsubscribe or both?  We don't use a custom unsubscribe link, so we are making sure all our reporting aligns and we understand what is represented where in the email performance report.  The reason we ask is because our proportion of unsubscribes/clicks came out to greater than 100%, (I.E. unsubscribes were greater than clicks) which would suggest they are two separate unique counts.

Thank you,

Christine

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same question and dilemma (re: clicks number being less than the number of unsubscribes) - did this ever get figured out? Would love to hear your input, Christine!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Leah - we were able to do an email test internally with our team.  I assigned specific actions to certain team members and after looking at the email performance report, the following has been concluded:

% Opened - Total Opened / Total Delivered

% Clicked - Total Clicked / Total Delivered (total clicked does not include unsubscribe clicks, meaning the numeric value represented in the total clicked column is unique clickers that clicked a link other than the unsubscribe link, those clicks are represented in the total unsubscribe numeric value)

% Clicked to Open Ratio - Total Clicked / Total Opened

% Unsubscribed - Total Unsubscribed / Total Delivered

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Christine

Autumn_Mahoney1
Level 3

I am trying to confirm if Total Opened actually means total opened + clicked (to capture those who click but don't actually register an "open")

thoughts?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, Marketo does include those that clicked, but didn't register as an open (usually due to images being blocked) as an "open" as well.  Which makes sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all.

Adam thanks for that. I just ran that report and It is so much clearer than the reports I have been running 🙂