SOLVED

Re: Unique User Identifier

Go to solution
Jason_Scott
Level 4

Unique User Identifier

We're using a third party to track conversions and need to merge in a unique identifier that fits the following criteria:

• Unique to each recipient
  • Doesn't contain personally identifying information
  • Is a parameter-friendly string
  • Doesn't vary between email sends

Any suggestions?  Does mkt_tok meet all these? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jason,

I think the strategy here depends on how your systems are architected.  Similar to Elliott's strategy, we use the MKTO Lead Id for this function.  The token is:  {{lead.id}}   For whatever reason, the field token may not be in the list when building an email, but it does work!   {{lead.id}} is also great for webhooks!

The SFDC Id can work just as well, but the field will need a value and this approach is dependent upon how/when you sync records.

Note:  If you are inserting a unique id into your email links, this affects the 'Email Link Performance' report.  Every link will appear as unique which makes the report unusable.

Hopefully MKTO will add a way for end users to filter adequately for this use case.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

The mkt_tok changes.  You could use the case safe SFDC ID, which are unique.  Since the ID will change when a Lead is converted to a Contact, copy it into a custom field and use that value in your emails.  Then even if the Lead is converted, the original ID will be preserved. 

Jason_Scott
Level 4

Thanks for the input!  What about using {{lead.Marketo Unique Code:default=edit me}}?

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

That should work as long as you have enabled personalized URLs for your Marketo account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jason,

I think the strategy here depends on how your systems are architected.  Similar to Elliott's strategy, we use the MKTO Lead Id for this function.  The token is:  {{lead.id}}   For whatever reason, the field token may not be in the list when building an email, but it does work!   {{lead.id}} is also great for webhooks!

The SFDC Id can work just as well, but the field will need a value and this approach is dependent upon how/when you sync records.

Note:  If you are inserting a unique id into your email links, this affects the 'Email Link Performance' report.  Every link will appear as unique which makes the report unusable.

Hopefully MKTO will add a way for end users to filter adequately for this use case.

Jason_Scott
Level 4

Thank you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jason, Are you looking to use Movable Ink? I am and they have the same Unique ID requirements when setting up. I'm getting mixed messages form Marketo support and the community.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

See my answer to your Movable Ink question a second ago (it's best to ask a question in only one thread, so we don't have to chase down all copies!).