Re: Ungated Downloads Through Email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ungated Downloads Through Email

Hi All,

We are looking to track ungated downloads of our whitepapers on our website. Due to new rules in the organization we need to track all interaction within bizable. The best way we came to do this was by creating an SFDC campaign that will make any member visible to bizable (what a rhyme).

In emails I am sending out to some of our database contains the link to the thank you page on which the download button for said whitepaper (with the ungated download) will reside.

My logic is smart list:

Trigger: Clicks link on web page "contains" "a portion of the web page url"

1. Not filled out form "our global whitepaper form"

My flow step adds to a SFDC campaign to indicate it came through an ungated email download.

The problem I am having is when people click the link on the page when I send it out via email it does not seem to track, but if I give the link to someone directly it adds them to the campaign no problem. The page is not a Marketo landing page, it is a Wordpress page.

Is this the best way to track an ungated download? Is there a reason why this wouldnt work? Do you guys have any suggestions for a better way to track ungated downloads or trouble shoot this issue?

Thank you all.

Best,Murph

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Great post, really want to dig into this further as a long term solution.

Short term though, let me clarify. The leads are not being sent directly to the asset, they are sent to the thank you page (a separate page on our website, allowing them to bypass the form fill). On the thank you page is a link for them to read the asset, so in theory they are landing on URL page and not a pdf page.

Could there be something happening when they click the link in the email and then arriving on the thank you page (liek a redirect) that would make their click on the page not log in Marketo?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Could there be something happening when they click the link in the email and then arriving on the thank you page (liek a redirect) that would make their click on the page not log in Marketo?

You'd have to show me the page. If the page is running Munchkin then standard <a> clicks will be captured. If you use JS click listeners, however, Munchkin doesn't catch all of those natively and may need to be told to fire a ​clickLink ​event.