SOLVED

Re: Undelivered Smart List

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Undelivered Smart List

Hi,

I am trying to create a smart list that will provide only those email accounts, addresses, ID, etc. that were undelivered. I understand there is a current Smart List filter that reads "was delivered email"; however, when exporting this list, I have to do a vlookup to find those email addresses that were undelivered. I tried to find "was undelivered email" or simply search in the smart list filter search bar for "undelivered" but found that neither of these exist. Is this something that my particular Marketo instance consist of? Has anyone else had success to creating smart lists that show only undelivered accounts? I found a filter called "Not Was Delivered Email" but this filter does not show the undelivered, as I thought maybe did. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Please note that this won't be perfect. I highly discourage people from trying to get an exact list of people for certain email metrics. It's just not possible to do correctly.

There are tons of issues with that approach but here is a quick example:

Sometimes an email that was sent to a person in your database will be recorded as "Delivered" because we received that response from the email receiver, but shortly after we'll get a "Bounce" activity. In this case, our Email Performance Report has special business logic to decrement the "Delivered" count and increase the "Bounce" count. However, our activity log will still show both activities. Because Smart Lists in Marketo are based on the activity log, this lead would be counted as "was delivered email" which is not true in reality.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Megan

Combine the "was sent email" with the "not was delivered email".

-Greg

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Please note that this won't be perfect. I highly discourage people from trying to get an exact list of people for certain email metrics. It's just not possible to do correctly.

There are tons of issues with that approach but here is a quick example:

Sometimes an email that was sent to a person in your database will be recorded as "Delivered" because we received that response from the email receiver, but shortly after we'll get a "Bounce" activity. In this case, our Email Performance Report has special business logic to decrement the "Delivered" count and increase the "Bounce" count. However, our activity log will still show both activities. Because Smart Lists in Marketo are based on the activity log, this lead would be counted as "was delivered email" which is not true in reality.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Just to add on to what Justin Cooperman​ mentioned about bounce activities coming in after the delivered activity, these are called Out Of Bounds (OOB) bounces. There's a good discussion here that explains it in more detail: Re: What does "550 internal oob The recipient is invalid" mean ? ...... Hard Bounce / Soft Bounce ?