Re: Unbounce visitors stats != Marketo link click stats

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbounce visitors stats != Marketo link click stats

Hi all,

We've encountered the following issue with an Unbounce landing page that we used in a Marketo email:

- Marketo statistics on # of clicks on the page URL from an email show around 800 unique clicks

- Unbounce stats: 250 unique visits

- Google analytics: 215 unique visits

I'm wondering where this dramatic difference could come from, because I was sure that every Marketo link click equals an Unbounce page visit. It should be.

The numbers have been like that for 2 days (so there's no delay in counting as I've thought at first) and the landing page was only used in one email.

My first thought was that the Unbounce page was down for a certain period of time so Marketo tracked the clicks but the users never got to see the page itself. But maybe I just don't get something? Are there any other scenarios (more optimistic than a page being down and us losing 600 leads)?

Thanks for any ideas!

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I believe there is a thread on this issue. Please search.

It may be how they count Visit Page vs. Clicked Link on Page, so make sure your smart list is looking at the right stat.

It sounds like you are confused between Clicked Link in Email vs. Visited Web Page. Many spam filters will click the URL, but not get counted on the page.

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Every Marketo email link click != page visit <--- This is a fallacy.  If a lead clicks on a link, it does not mean that they have tracking enabled on their browser, amongst other things like spam filters and security bots.   The assumption that these 2 items go hand in hand is the first thing you're going to want to look at with a different perspective.

The difference could be  in a lot of things like Josh Hill​ pointed out, perhaps the filter you're using, spam filters, etc. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jim, thank you so much for the ideas!

But what really scared me about that case is the difference between clicks and visits. It's 500 leads which is a lot. I'd understand 10 or 20 leads, but this... Do you think that such an error in the stats could happen due to disabled tracking & spam filters?

Because if it did, it means that the Unbounce page visits stats are pretty far from what is actually going on and cannot be trusted.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You may want to speak with the vendor's engineers.