Several members of my team have notified me today that they are unable to upload/import new leads to static lists into Marketo. They're receiving an "unknown error". A support ticket has been raised. Is that happening to anyone else? Would be good to know if this was a sitewide issue or just in our instance.
Hi Dan - I believe I came across this error in the past. If I remember correctly, it ended up being an issue with the upload file.
It may be worth grabbing the source file again, changing the name, ensuring it's a CSV and re-uploading (If they haven't already tried this).
yeah, if you make sure it's UTF8 from notepad. But I've also had weird issues where a bad character was already in the database and created errors on upload.
Just came across this issue and every time I tried to re-upload, it updates a portion of the leads but not all of them. I would then use the failed CSV file to re-upload the leads that were not updated. After re-uploading 7 or 8 times, it eventually imported the remaining leads. The list only had 2 columns, email address and a custom field I wanted to update and contained ~45,000 leads. In the wizard, I chose the "List Import Mode" of "Default (Fast Import)".
I received this error today as well. It failed all of my list. I've never received this error. I've tried reloading and it will not take any of the names