SOLVED

Unable to unapprove email program

Go to solution
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Unable to unapprove email program

I'm trying to unapprove and Email Program (batch) but keep getting the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

Any idea what this means?  This was a test Email Program (containing 1 lead) and need to disable it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Stevens_

Re: Unable to unapprove email program

Which means if you have an Email Program ready to go - including smart campaigns to track lead progression - and you need to make a minor change to the A/B test criteria, you first need to remove all references in the smart campaigns before doing so.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan,

Is the "used by" tab showing anything?

Have you set up an A/B test on your email program?

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

Hi Greg - yes, it's showing the inactive smart campaign; and yes, it's an A/B test.

pastedImage_0.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You probably want to deactivate the A/B  test first. If it's an email program:

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

You can't deactivate an A/B test without first unapproving it.

What I did was remove the reference to the program in the "test" smart campaign and that allowed me to unapprove it.  Makes no sense as to why I'd have to remove all smart campaign references before unapproving.

We have an issue on our hands where the name of a email - within a production email program - is not referenceable in any smart campaign (meaning we can't define any triggers/filters, nor send out any test campaigns).  Usually it would appear as "[Email Program Name.Subject Line Test]".  But it's not.  And it is approved.  Support's not even able to figure out the issue (yet).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Dan,

I ran a test an I get the exact same message. Here is the email program with A/B test:
pastedImage_1.png

Important: the email name is "invite 1"

The smart campaign smart list is:

pastedImage_2.png

and the flow is:

pastedImage_3.png

You will note that the flow references the A/B test and not the "Invite 1" email itself.

If I remove that flow step, I can unapprove the program, but then I cannot use the "Invite 1" email in the flow step.

Now if remove the A/B test from the program, the email becomes referenceable in the smart campaign, but the A/B test can obviously no longer be referenced.

Everything acts as if the A/B test object completely masks and replaces the email. This would explain the behavior.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

That's correct.  What's confusing is that you need to remove all references to the email in any smart campaign before you can un-approve the program (and make any changes to the A/B test, if necessary). 

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The "used by" tab on the program shows the program is used in the smart campaign:

pastedImage_0.png

And as I cannot reference the program in the flow step if it's not approved, I gather that It's logical that I cannot unapprove the program if it is referenced.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

Which means if you have an Email Program ready to go - including smart campaigns to track lead progression - and you need to make a minor change to the A/B test criteria, you first need to remove all references in the smart campaigns before doing so.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

I fully agree this is really not convenient

I feel the problem may also be that we cannot edit the A/B test without approving it. In other terms, there is no draft for an A/B test, as there is for other types of assets.

-Greg