Two Part Form Submittal

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Two Part Form Submittal

Does anyone know how I might be able to have a form submitted, then present the user with a second form that doesn't requite the user to re-enter thier email address? I know field logic would do something similar in a single form, but then the form can't be submitted until all fields are supplied. Longer forms mean more abandonment. If I can get the basic info on the first form, I have them in the system. Indepth qualifing info could then be gathered by the second form.

Some users may not complete the second form, but many would if I tell them this will speed up our turn around time. But I don't want to annoy them by asking for email address when they just supplied it on the previous form.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Tags (1)
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two Part Form Submittal

I would think progressive profiling would work here, if the landing page you sent them to had the same form. Info on progressive profiling here: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LHAFCA4.

Additionally, if you are hoping that they will immediately fill out a second form by explaining more information = more turn around time, why not just give them that option in the first place? Make only a few fields required, then have a note that the more information they are able to share, the faster/more accurate the response would be.

Honestly, I'd rather a longer form that I knew I could skip then fill out a form and have a second form after. I might think that the original form did not submit or something.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Kathi this is simple to do.  In the onSuccess() of the first form, you always get the values echoed back to you.

Then you can promptly load the second form and do addHiddenFields({ Email: values.Email })

JayW
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman ,

I'm using three forms to create the multi part form.
1. First form has essential fields required for us to create a Salesforce sync (contact info)

2. Second form has persona fields (org and job role)

3. Third form takes product specific info.
I'm trying to take it a step forward and combine it with your KV Html (with Progressive profiling) and "Not You" reset option to clear the session. 
It worked for the first form load but with few issues.

Problem 1
Because it recognises the visitor,  but it does not pass the email to the second form onsuccess.

Problem 2
Secondly, the {{lead.First Name}} token doesn't work on the KV anymore.
As in, I used to add a rich text field to say "Welcome {{lead.First Name:default=back}},"
It works on my regular single forms.
I remember reading about we can use the {{lead.First Name}} token if it's a Marketo Page. But it doesn't seem to load on the multi part form.

SanfordWhiteman

This isn’t enough to go on and is getting far off the topic of this old thread. Please open a new thread, including links to your page(s) and screenshots of your setup.

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Sam, the progressive profiling may work here, but the email and all still show on the second form. I can certainly see how someone might not think the form didn't submit. I'm going for a continuation of the first form I guess you could say. The page would say something like "Your request has been submitted. To speed up the process, please tell us more about your computing environment in which you plan to use this software." Then be presented with the proper fields. Since it's a trial, I don't want to add any fields that might make someone think the process is long.

Sanford, do you mean simply present the second form on the follow-up page with the email field, company, and name hidden and present the new questions? 

Thanks for the suggests. I appreciate them both.

-Kathi

SanfordWhiteman

I wouldn't say you need a follow-up "page" exactly -- you can simply remove one form and embed the other in its place, so it's quite graceful. But yes, all you need do is get the filled-in fields into the 2nd form. You can do this all in JS (if you keep them on the same page) or passing them in as cookies or query params (if forwarding to a new page).
SanfordWhiteman

Demo of two-form workflow passing email between the two.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you so much for this! Works like a charm... quick question: after the last form is submitted how would one get a thank you message to show. Currently, the last form submission reloads the page.

SanfordWhiteman

Currently, the last form submission reloads the page.

See the updated Fiddle. You can now populate the config.onFinalSuccess function with what you want to happen after the final form is submitted (i.e. return false; and then replace some other element on the page with text or what-have-you).