SOLVED

Re: Two Lead Record Types

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Lead Record Types

We have two distinct products we are selling through two different sales teams and two different sales processes and we are trying to use one instance of Marketo and SFDC.  We believe Lead Record Types is the best way to do this but are unsure exactly how to get it done.  Does anyone have a helpful resource (how to guide) for setting up lead record types and how Marketo should handle those leads to make sure they go into the right SFDC record type?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi KC,

This is a good way to go but the implementation is a little tricky. You will need to learn the SFDC Id of the 2 record types so that you can set them from Marketo. It will take the form of "0012000000eYIIfadC". When you will want to set the record type, you will have use these as the new values. As it is easy to make mistakes there, I strongly recommend that setting record types is done in a centralized program that only experiences Marketo users are allowed to touch and edit. Another possibility would be to have a user-readable picklist field in SFDC (name it "Requested Record Type"), map it to Marketo and have a workflow in SFDC that changes the RT when the field is updated from Marketo.

Also, I recommend you create a formula field in SFDC on the lead object called "Record Type Name", so that you can easily check the record type of a lead. The formula for this field is : RecordType.Name The field will give you actual the name of the RT in a way that is understandable to a mere human being

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are on the right track. Once you do all the work in Salesforce you will be able to segment by record type in Marketo. I think product interest for inbound would be determined by a field don the contact us form or inferred from the page the conversion happen on...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi KC,

This is a good way to go but the implementation is a little tricky. You will need to learn the SFDC Id of the 2 record types so that you can set them from Marketo. It will take the form of "0012000000eYIIfadC". When you will want to set the record type, you will have use these as the new values. As it is easy to make mistakes there, I strongly recommend that setting record types is done in a centralized program that only experiences Marketo users are allowed to touch and edit. Another possibility would be to have a user-readable picklist field in SFDC (name it "Requested Record Type"), map it to Marketo and have a workflow in SFDC that changes the RT when the field is updated from Marketo.

Also, I recommend you create a formula field in SFDC on the lead object called "Record Type Name", so that you can easily check the record type of a lead. The formula for this field is : RecordType.Name The field will give you actual the name of the RT in a way that is understandable to a mere human being

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Be my guest

-Greg

Daniela_Bachman
Level 2

Hi Greg,

In Salesforce we use different Account Record Types, but (I think) one lead type. Would we be able to do the same type of mapping to the account record type?