SOLVED

Twilio shortcode for webhook integration

Go to solution
j_borrelli
Level 1

Twilio shortcode for webhook integration

I am trying to set up the integration between Twilio SMS and Marketo using the webhook documentation.

We also use a shortcode to currently send messages. I followed the documentation and received the following error: url must not contain invalid chars or json

Is this because we are using a shortcode versus a full phone number? Thanks in advanced! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Twilio shortcode for webhook integration

Can't say that's so easy to read, but it looks like you're trying to embed basic auth credentials in the URL.  Don't do it that way: add a proper Authorization: header instead, and set your URL to simply

https://api.twilio.com/2010-04-01/Accounts/{:your_account_sid}/Messages.json

I described an easy method for generating the header in this post way back when:

Calling the Twilio Lookup API as a Marketo webhook 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Please show your exact webhook setup, preferably copying-and-pasting the Payload contents and highlighting them as JavaScript using the Insert Code Sample feature here on the community.

(You may also include a screenshot, but please provide the actual text so we can inspect it including all original whitespace.)

SanfordWhiteman

(Also your link is to a file on your local machine that we can't access.)
j_borrelli
Level 1

https://[ACCOUNT_SID]:[AUTH_TOKEN]@API.TWILIO.COM/2010-04-
01/ACCOUNTS/[ACCOUNT_SID]/SMS/MESSAGES.XML

From=%2B1[MY_TWILIO_NUMBER]&To=%2B1{{lead.Mobile Phone Number:default=edit me}}&Body=YOUR

These are the two urls I used for the webhook 

We use a shortcode:  95578  instead of a 9 digit number 

SanfordWhiteman

These are the two urls I used for the webhook

Only one of those is a URL, the second is presumably your webhook request payload.

What do you have set as the request and response encodings in the webhook definition? And the method (GET or POST)?

j_borrelli
Level 1

Here is how the webhook is currently set up in Marketo. When I go to trigger a campaign I get the 404 error: URL not found. 

mkto_webhookexample_twilio.png

SanfordWhiteman

Can't say that's so easy to read, but it looks like you're trying to embed basic auth credentials in the URL.  Don't do it that way: add a proper Authorization: header instead, and set your URL to simply

https://api.twilio.com/2010-04-01/Accounts/{:your_account_sid}/Messages.json

I described an easy method for generating the header in this post way back when:

Calling the Twilio Lookup API as a Marketo webhook