Re: Trying to send an email 1 hour before a webinar starts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to send an email 1 hour before a webinar starts

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a smart campaign to send an email to registered people 1 hour before a webinar starts. *Note: I don't have the events and webinars module so I'm doing this with a normal program with a channel I created.

I have a token with the webinar date (no option to create datetime) and I'm using a "Wait" type: Date Token, End on: {{my.Webinar Date}} , Time 10AM  but I have 3 problems with this.

1. I can't select plus or minus hours in End on, only days, so it cannot be automated for all webinars as I have to select an specific time and not all the webinars are at the same time.

2. Even selecting the time manually, if the webinar is at 11.30 for example, it won't work because I can only select o'clock hours.

3. Even if the date/time has passed, it goes through the wait and send the email. Which means that if someone register less than 1 hour before the webinar or even on demand, they will still receive the email saying that it will start in one hour.

I have a field with the date/time they registered (using {{system.datetime}}), is there any way I can compare dates in the smart list so it only goes through if he/she registered more than 1 hour before an specified date/time?

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advanced.

Irene

3 REPLIES 3
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Irene, what if you had a separate smart campaign that you activate that is scheduled to run 1x for everyone registered for your webinar, and you schedule it to run 1 hour before your webinar? That will probably be the easiest solution to all of the problems you've outlined above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory.

I wanted to have it automated with tokens so when I clone the programs I don't have to change anything, but yes, simple solutions are often the best.
Thanks for your suggestion

Irene

Kim_Allen
Level 10

Hi Irene,

I absolutely agree with Dory's recommendation. I do want to add in though that depending on the size of the list you're expecting and what other flows are running 'behind the scenes' in your instance, you may want to move the time up some. At times Marketo can take time to process lists before even sending emails. If you've been sending out emails a while you can probably pick up on trends in your instance to tell about how much time you need to give the system.

Kim