Re: Trouble with SC triggers based on referrer and SC triggers using forms on embedded web pages

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Trouble with SC triggers based on referrer and SC triggers using forms on embedded web pages

You've tried [contains] "/video-collaboration/" for example?

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

It looks like it is working when I remove the www.company.com and then the .html parts.

Thanks for your help with that. That being said how do I differentiate which page someone came from if I have a marketo landing page that say 5 different products come from. I don't use referrer for that do I? This hasn't been working for me so far. Looks like I have no data on where a lead came from once they arrive at the LP with a form on it according to activity logs.

SanfordWhiteman

Do you mean the page visited immediately before the page hosting the form? (Which is the true document.referrer, not the same as Marketo's other use of the term "referrer" in the SC.)

Yes, you can use Hidden fields that Auto-Fill from query parameters on the immediately previous URL (Referrer Params in Form Editor).

If you need more information than is found in the query string alone, you can use Forms 2.0 API JS to set Hidden fields to, for example, the full document.referrer URL or its pathname/filename part (which aren't supported natively as Editor options).

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Thanks Sanford Whiteman​ would something like the below work?

pastedImage_0.png

SanfordWhiteman

No, that won't work.  Referrer Parameters are query params -- keys and values in the query string portion of the referrer URL (after the ?). Just like query params in the current URL, only they come from the previous URL. But they don't include the protocol, hostname, pathname, or hash.

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

So is there a way to pull in the full referrer, the full URL of the page the person was at immediately before filling out a form?

SanfordWhiteman

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Thanks Sanford. We can put that in immediately. Can you let me know how the actual retrieval of the field would work on the form though? Is it like the image I posted above?

SanfordWhiteman

"retrieval... on the form" isn't the way I'd put it.

Using the linked code, you're adding a hidden field to the form. Nothing else need be done on the client side.

That field will then be available in Smart Campaign and/or Smart List filters on the server, like any other field.

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Gerard Donnelly​ This method isn't working in a smart list. What I have is a URL not a marketo landing page since the form is embedded.