Re: Triggering an automated flow off of a Survey Object

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Triggering an automated flow off of a Survey Object

I'm trying to set up the logic for an automated email to trigger off the survey object in sales force. For the trigger I chose data value changes, would i choose a constraint? i then put the two filters of the fields that will update when someone fills out a survey, is that all I need? i then have the flow step of send email and add to sfdc.

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Pls move the thread to Products​ and we'll continue there.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

liz Bonin

If you have a custom survey object in SFDC, you can sync it to Marketo and trigger smart campaign using the "Added to [name of your custom object]" trigger that will be created as a result. If you select the fields of your object you are interested in as constraints when setting up your custom object sync, you should be able to use them as constraints in your triggers as well.

Note however that this will only work when someone is added to a survey record (typically upon that record first being inserted). If you want to trigger on a record update then you cannot do that using the custom object sync. In that case the simplest work around is to update fields on the lead/contact from the child survey record and then trigger off those in Marketo using data value changed as you suggested, with the name of the field and "new value" as the constraint = the new value you are interested in.

Caveat: if you have multiple surveys coming in within a short interval (<10 minutes) for the same person, this second method is not appropriate as data can be overwritten in between sync intervals.

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

and vote here: and here

-Greg

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Thank you so don't use the data value changes trigger? Use the “added to survey result”

Justin_Norris1

Elizabeth Bonin

Yes, Data Value Changes trigger will only work for person (lead/contact) or account fields synched from SFDC. If the data is in a custom object then this field will not be available to select in the trigger options and you would need to sync the object and use the "Added" trigger instead. 

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Thanks Justin. I'm able to select the field in the drop down for data value changes. Our developers did a lot of backend work, could this be why? There are a few things I'm trying to set up and i was to make sure the logic works. First the survey is supposed to deploy once a person qualifies for xyz, this is all in the backend through dev work so i have the triggers set up for the send as this:

pastedImage_0.png

Justin_Norris1

Elizabeth Bonin

Seems like your developers did some work to map the custom object to lead/contact fields in SFDC. So that means you can use a Data Value Change which is useful.

I would say in your smart list you don't need to the additional filter, you could just have "Vendor" as the new value of the survey type on the trigger constraint.

Note that if a new survey comes in and the NPS Survey Type remains the same, the Data Value Change will not register in Marketo. You may want to reset this field to NULL after the operation is finished to address this possibility, if it is a concern. 

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

NPS is our only automated survery right now. The vendor one and the customer one will be the only two going off this customer object . The additional filter has tobe in place because the customer survey also triggers off this field so that filter is to distinguish between the two. I just want to make sure the logic reads if the NPS Survey type field  is populated and the NPS Survey typeis Vendor than send the email  (flow step)

Justin_Norris1

Elizabeth Bonin

That sounds good.

Your goal of having the trigger fire only when the NPS survey type is vendor would be accomplished using the trigger constraint making the filter unnecessary, but it will work as well having the filter in place.

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto