SOLVED

Re: Triggered Smart Campaign called multiple times

Go to solution
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Triggered Smart Campaign called multiple times

Hi there.

I have a Smart Campaign that is triggered by multiple data value changed entries in the Smart List section.

It works just fine, however if multiple fields get changed at the same time for a Lead Record, the campaign gets called multiple times.  Technically, things still seem to work fine - but it is REALLY ugly.

Nothing in the Run each person through the campaign flow: settings is granular enough, and even if it were, I wouldn't want to use it as there is the potential a record may be updated twice in close succession, and I'd want the smart campaign triggered twice.

Is there a way around this?

Cheers

Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Append all the fields into a unified history field at once with a suitable delimiter:

{{lead.field one}}|{{lead.field two}}|{{lead.field three}}

Trigger on Data Value Changes  to that field. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
B_Jacquet2
Level 2

Have you tried setting an additional filter looking at an action in the Flow (e.g. Not was sent email, Not Program Status was changed etc.) in the past 1-2 seconds? Could be worth some testing 🙂

Jo_Pitts1

@B_Jacquet2 ,

that could work but any arbitrary time scale will at some point be wrong in this kind of situation. 

I was really hoping I could use a calculated field in the Data Value Changes, but no such luck.

Phillip_Wild

You could maybe try date stamping when the campaign was last run using the {{system.datetime}} token into a custom field. Then add in as a filter to your program "(custom field) is not within the last x minutes", or something similar.

Would that work?

Jo_Pitts1

@Phillip_Wild ,

normally the condition is because 4 or 5 form fields have all been updated.  

What if a form gets filled in, API gets called and then 2 minutes later, the same or a subsequent form gets filled in again for the same lead (a very real possibility with progressive profiling, wizard style forms etc.)

As per my comment to @B_Jacquet2 , any arbitrary time will ALWAYS be wrong sometimes 🙂

If I got down to seconds (as per Benjamin's suggestion) it would be right most of the time (and in reality, probably always), but it feels in-elegant from a design perspective.

B_Jacquet2
Level 2

Presumably there is reasons that prevent using "fills out form" trigger?

The issue I saw with date stamping is that it sort of goes against the goal of reducing the amount of unnecessary "data value change" 😕

SanfordWhiteman

Presumably there is reasons that prevent using "fills out form" trigger?

Fills out Form has a race condition when used w/filters.

SanfordWhiteman

Append all the fields into a unified history field at once with a suitable delimiter:

{{lead.field one}}|{{lead.field two}}|{{lead.field three}}

Trigger on Data Value Changes  to that field. 

Jo_Pitts1

Hmmm.. so have to have the append stuff everywhere any of those fields might change (i.e. form submits and API calls).

Not as elegant as a calculated field, but cest la vie 🙂