Re: Trigger Visits Web Page redirection page

Ignace_Kervyn_d
Level 3

Trigger Visits Web Page redirection page

Hi !

If a person has visited my page more than 5 times can I redirect them to another page? This from the same starting URL address?

the schema can be as follows

www.contentpage1.com -> visited > 5 times

trigger

6th visit -> www.contentpage1.com -> www.contentpage2.co

???

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

No, but you could send an email to do that.

There is probably a way to use Munchkin API custom code to do this. developers.marketo.com.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

No munchkin API can't do it. But you would need to write some javascript for sure.

If you're using Marketo landing pages, you can have a custom score field counting the page views, add that custom field in a script on the page and also write logic to redirect the person if the field > 5. However, to make this scalable (without creating lots of score fields) you'd need to use a text area field, a webhook that parses the data and handles logic and a lot more javascript coding.

I think the best way to do this would be to create your own cookie and script. Your script would read a counter in the cookie each time the person visited and increment the counter if < 6 else redirect to new domain

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What about visits from multiple devices?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

If the OP wants to go down to that level, then...

there is a way, but too complex to explain here. Involves munchkin, custom fields, iframes, landing pages, more scripting.

SanfordWhiteman

I would expect to count multiple sessions and from what I'm seeing above, non-Marketo pages.

Which is why I'd also say, in practice, this isn't possible (given the slim likelihood of there being a fluent enough developer on staff).

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Correct that a known person visiting the page as an anonymous person on a new device - I can't guarantee that, combined between devices, the 6th visit would be redirected.

But an anonymous person visiting the page on one device, a write your own cookie + script will work whereas a Marketo only solution can't.

So it's still one up.

However, coupled with munchkin, if the known person identifies themselves on the new device, you can aggregate the cookie data with what's stored centrally in Marketo and update the cookie so that the redirect logic will work.

Essentially a poor mans, one trick CDP

SanfordWhiteman

However, coupled with munchkin, if the known person identifies themselves on the new device, you can aggregate the cookie data with what's stored centrally in Marketo and update the cookie so that the redirect logic will work.

Yes, but approx. 0 users who would ask the original question would be able to do this.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

you don't know what you don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just sharing ideas and shedding some light. it's up to the OP if they wish to pursue the knowledge