Transitioning Exhausted Leads into New Stream

Nick_Nappo
Level 4

Transitioning Exhausted Leads into New Stream

In one of my engagement programs which has three streams, I have over 21,500 leads in stream #1.  I thought they would automatically transition to streams #2 and #3 in that engagement program, but apparently I was wrong because the emails within #2 and #3 aren't showing up on the email performance report.  Nor do the smart lists for those streams have any leads in them.  How do I send all those leads in stream #1 to #2, and then to #3?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Transitioning Exhausted Leads into New Stream

Did you setup your transition rules?

There's no logic that says once they finish one they go to the other, you have to set your own rules.

Transition People Between Engagement Streams - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hey Nick,

Simplest way is to create a smart campaign as defined below.

Smart List:

Filter for Member of Engagement Program = Select your engagement program

-> Add constraint for Stream = Your desired stream

-> Add constraint for Exhausted Content = True

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 2.25.10 PM.png

Flow Step:

Change Engagement Program Stream
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 2.26.18 PM.png

You can run this 1 time or schedule the batch to run at whatever interval you need, but unfortunately, there is no way to trigger based on exhausting content in a stream. Unless you always use the same email as the last touch in the stream and then you can trigger on that last email being sent.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Keith Nyberg

Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

You can also use transition rules in the engagement program as JD mentioned, but these require a trigger which is why i prefer to use smart campaigns to manage moving people between streams. (makes batch possible)

JD_Nelson

What's the benefit of the different streams, though? Why not just keep everything in one stream if at the end it just goes to the next?

Jasmine_Kyles
Level 5

I believe the limit on the number of emails in a single stream is 10.
Each stream could also be used for different product lines based on interaction with an email in the first stream.

JD_Nelson

I've never done that many, but I do not believe 10 is the limit to the # of emails in a stream (is there one?)

Jasmine_Kyles
Level 5

Whoops! You're right JD Nelson There isn't a limit of 10 emails in a stream. Good to know. I misread somewhere along the way.

Engagement Stream Maximums?

(I would still like to know more use cases of different streams.)

JD_Nelson

The biggest use of multiple streams that I've seen has always been 'timezone' -- but now that Marketo has released timezone sending, I'm curious to see how this can streamline engagement programs. For instance, I have separate engagement programs for different stage buyers, all with three timezones each. Now, I can combine all of those engagement streams into one and use streams for the different stages -- and I won't need all the supplemental smart campaigns moving between programs--instead relying on transition rules.

Valerie_Whitin2
Level 5

Hi Jasmine,

I've always used separate streams for either different stages of the buyer journey (i.e. Awareness, Consideration, Decision) or by lead funnel stages (i.e. Suspect, MAL, MQL etc) or by product/topic interest. That way you are able to serve up more relevant content to your leads at different parts of their journey. So, for example I wouldn't move people from the Awareness stream to Consideration stream until they have scored a certain amount or they have taken some specific actions that indicate to you that they are interested in your product/services.

Thanks,

Valerie