Re: Tracking with Munchkin on external site

Rasmus_Bidstru1
Level 4

Tracking with Munchkin on external site

I got munchkin code on an external website, and I can see it the behavioural data on each lead, what they clicked on and which subpages they visited.. that great!

Now I need an overview of how many have visited the page in a specific time period in the past. (just like you can in Google Analytics.)

It seems like Marketos Analytic tool only shows landingpages made in Marketo.

Where can I see the external tracking data?

5 REPLIES 5
Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Hi Rasmus,

You can use any URL in the 'visits web page' trigger or 'visited web page' filter. Just add in the URL (without http://) and you should find it.

Please keep in mind that Marketo is not a tool for 'discovery' analytics like Google Analytics. It's a tool to find leads who match certain criteria and execute (email, change data, push to SFDC, etc.) on those leads.

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

Hi Rasmus,

We don't have a report for this, but you can use a Smart List to pull information on known leads who have visited the page in a specific time frame.  You would use the "Visited Web Page" filter with a Date of Activity constraint to pull a list of all known leads who visited the specified web page in the time period.

Rasmus_Bidstru1
Level 4

What a shame, I thought Marketo had this feature, whats why we didnt want to use google analytics, but now it seems like thats the only solution to get some nice reports.

Making multiple SmartLists isnt a sustainable solution for us.

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

It is very limited, but you can use the Web Page Activity report for external sites. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can track traffic with the Marketo munchkin, but you do need to put the code on every page on your site that you want to track - alternately, you can use Google Tag Manager to house both the Google Analytics and the Marketo munchkin in one piece of code on your site. The thing about the Marketo munchkin is that it really only tracks traffic from identified leads. If you have an anonymous lead who visits the site, then Marketo keeps that activity around only for a little while (if I recall correctly, it was 90 days, but it could be less). That gets turned into identified traffic if that anonymous lead eventually fills out a form - otherwise it goes away.

If you are looking for the total number of pageviews "just like in Google Analytics" (or visitors, or unique visitors, etc.), then you really do need to use Google Analytics. GA does not erase traffic after a particular number of days if a person doesn't fill out a form (or click an email or otherwise identify themselves). They might not tell you exactly who all those people are, but they should give you the best information you can get, barring a server-side analytics solution that analyzes the server logs (like Piwik). Hope this helps; good luck thrilling your internal clients with your marketing performance measures!