Tracking who has visited our website and sending alert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking who has visited our website and sending alert

We attended the Marketo Roadshow this week which was really useful to us - thank you marketo!

Some of the things we heard,we now want to try put in action. One of these being how to set up a smart campaign so that when somebody visits your website, it sends an alert to the Sales Person so they can contact them within a certain  period of time.

Does any body know how I should go about this? 

4 REPLIES 4
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Tracking who has visited our website and sending alert

Hi Beth,

To do this, you'll create a new Smart Campaign in Marketing Activities.  In the smart list tab for this campaign you'll want to use the Visits Webpage trigger (orange lightning bolt).  Choose the website(s) in the trigger that you're wanting to trigger off of, and then you can move to the Flow tab.  In the Flow you'll use the Send Alert flow step.  There you'll need to define which email you want to use as your alert, and who you want it sent to when the campaign fires.

Once that's done you can go to the Schedule tab and Activate the campaign.  It's now ready to react to leads visiting your page.

One thin to note is that anonymous visitors to your site will still trigger this campaign, and any alerts that go out about them may have blank information.

To stop this from happening, you can use the Is Anonymous filter in conjunction with your Visited Webpage trigger in the smart list.  Just add that filter below the trigger and set it to Is False.  That will prevent Anonymous leads from qualifying for the campaign.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

John

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

John has the correct method.

My big worry is why is this important to the Salesperson? This information can be generated as an interesting moment for specific page sets or as an alert. What will the salesperson do if the lead hits a pricing page? Do they want this email alert?

Also, be careful that you set the campaign John describes how often it will trigger for each lead: every time (annoying) or once a day? once a week? which pages?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your help. I've just gone to set up the campaign and our website isn't in the drop down list. Do you know how I can make it appear on the list?

Thanks

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Beth,

Are you certain you have munchkin on the site?

Also, are you sure it's not there, but maybe without http://?  Sometimes the url you expect isn't exactly what gets tracked.  The easiest way usually is to look at the record for a lead that you know has visited the site and see what url was tracked in their activity log.

John