Tracking web activity of leads imported to Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking web activity of leads imported to Marketo

If a lead is imported into Marketo and put into a program, and then the user engages with an email, advertisement or other asset and in turn visits our website, which has Munckin code, will Marketo associate the web activity with the user's record in Marketo? Or does this web activity only get associated with the named lead if the lead fills out a form on the site? 

Thanks,

David

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracking web activity of leads imported to Marketo

Hi David

Marketo recoards anonymous leads activities.
Marketo recognize the anonymous lead using cookie.
If the anonymous lead fills out, Marketo add email adress to correct lead  data using cookie.
You can see the known lead's activities before known.

Takehiro
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right I understand that. What I'm asking about is if you start with a named lead that you import into Marketo, would Marketo associate any future web activity to the lead automatically, even if the lead doesn't fill out a form on the site? 
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A user will not be automatically associated unless they fill out a form.  The form submission can happen after they visit your website -- their old anonymous activities will be merged in. But if they don't fill out a form, you have to write server-side code (using either Munchkin API and/or the REST/SOAP API) that captures the lead's info based on the link they clicked and then passes it in to Marketo.

However, stay tuned as we (my company) will be releasing a powerful complement to Marketo/Munchkin that provides the lead association out-of-the-box, with no programming!