Re: Tracking touches from Marketo to Salesforce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking touches from Marketo to Salesforce

Hi, wondering if anyone has figured out a best practice on multi-touch attribution for leads in Salesforce.  My specific concerns are:

-Tracking when the same person reaches out to us in both Marketo and Salesforce AFTER the first time

-Assigning each subsequent touch to the proper lead source each time

-Updating the records in Salesforce once they've been converted (since the lead becomes read only and Marketo doesn't then know which record to assign activity to).

-Tracking which leads touched us only once, followed by how many afterwards in Salesforce

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Adriana,

SFDC is not really good at multi-touch tracking. The best you can do is to use SFDC campaigns and make sure that each touch correspond to one campaign. Marketo Program <--> SFDC campaign sync can help you there.

Once the lead is associated to multiple campaigns, you can use salesforce campaign influence reports.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I've written about offer-channel and MT tracking on my blog and here a few times. Agree that SFDC Campaign Member records are a big part of this.

The big question though - what are you going to do with that info? Are you really going to change something?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well we'd like to see how long it takes for someone to reengage, as well as see what is the turning point in the buying process, what is the most effective program or series of?

Thanks,

Adriana

Anonymous
Not applicable

But once the lead is converted to a contact, if they interact with us again, what happens?  Do they flow into SFDC as a new (duplicate) lead, or does Marketo KNOW to reassign that contact to another campaign?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Adriana,

No worries here, if the contact is converted, Marketo will continue with the contact and add it to the campaigns.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I'm new to Marketo and never got trained properly on it's

functionality.

Adriana Smith | Marketing Operations Manager

Zenoss, Inc. | Transforming IT Operations

asmith@zenoss.com | +1 (512) 693-8010

<http://www.zenoss.com/galaxz>

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Grégoire Michel <

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Could something similar be accomplished by installing Marketo's Opportunity Analyzer?

How to add the Opportunity Influence Analyzer to your Salesforce Opportunities

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're going for, but if it's touches and timeline you're after, this module has worked well for us. Obviously, it's only available on opportunities.

I'd say you can use the Revenue Cycle Modeler to track the time between two activities for re-engagement, but it sounds like you want this reporting to all occur within SFDC.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Adriana Smith

As others have noted, it's really hard to do full multi-touch attribution in Salesforce. Native SFDC Campaign Influence reporting makes no sense unfortunately.

I have used a variety of third-party software to help answer the questions you are asking.

Bizible does a very good job at capturing the channel (lead source) for every interaction (which they call touchpoints). E.g., if a lead visits your site and fills out a form three times, once from Google Adwords, once from organic search, and once from Twitter, it will capture all those channels out of the box as three separate touchpoints.

However although it captures every touch point it can be harder with Bizible to tie those touches to every stage of the funnel. I

For more flexible mid-funnel attribution I have become very enthusiastic about Path to Scale. You need to put leads into campaigns using Marketo but then Path to Scale does a great job at flexible multi-touch attribution modelling for every lifecycle transition. So you can see that the following campaigns are influential at moving leads from Inquiry to MQL, and then other campaigns help move leads from MQL to SAL, and so on.