SOLVED

Tracking link clicks

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking link clicks

Hi,

I am trying to create a link click report in Marketo & SFDC based on an landing page that, once filled out, triggers a confirmation email send that included 4 different links. We used 4 different webhooks for the links in the email send. I setup SFDC campaigns for each of the 4 links I'd like to track, as well as individual smart campaigns in Marketo to sync to each SFDC campaign. We sent the email 7 days ago, so I'm trying to retroactively collect the link clicks. I'm using the trigger "clicks link in email", and using the "email is" and "link contains" and "date of activity" conditions. It's been about an hour since I set everything up and so far I only see 1 link click that happened today. However, I do see that over 400 people have completed the form and clicked a link based on the smart campaign I setup for the confirmation email send...My concern is that it's not pulling in the link clicks from 11/7/16 to now. I think I saw something on the community that link clicks are collected only once daily in Marketo....so is it fair to say that when I log in tomorrow all of the data should be populated? Do we know what time of day Marketo syncs link clicks? Is there a better way to set this up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tracking link clicks using webhooks

Make sure to post to ​Products. ​A moderator just moved your post today.

I think you're confusing a few terms and concepts here. 

First, do you really mean "webhooks" as in ​outbound HTTP requests to a third-party web service?

Also, as far as "link clicks are collected only once daily" this is not true.  ​Clicked Link in Email ​activities are captured as they happen (or as soon after that as system resources allow).  When you synchronize those activities to SFDC, only the first click of the day per lead will ​ever ​ be synced to SFDC (not once per day but on the next sync after it happens).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tracking link clicks using webhooks

Make sure to post to ​Products. ​A moderator just moved your post today.

I think you're confusing a few terms and concepts here. 

First, do you really mean "webhooks" as in ​outbound HTTP requests to a third-party web service?

Also, as far as "link clicks are collected only once daily" this is not true.  ​Clicked Link in Email ​activities are captured as they happen (or as soon after that as system resources allow).  When you synchronize those activities to SFDC, only the first click of the day per lead will ​ever ​ be synced to SFDC (not once per day but on the next sync after it happens).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracking link clicks

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for the reply. You're right. The fact that I used webhooks for my outbound email campaign is actually irrelevant to me being able to generate these 'clicked link in email' reports - at first when the reports weren't generating any results I thought maybe it was related. I realize that I mis-interpreted another post about the "link clicks being collected once daily" - again, thank you for the correction/clarification. I spent some more time on this after my initial post and discovered that my triggered campaign to identify historic link clicks was only identifying link clicks in the email that happened after I setup the campaign. I used the filter "clicks link in email" to identify the historic time range I wanted to track link clicks for, and was successfully able to push those folks into my campaign. This has been resolved.

Thanks!

Casey