SOLVED

Tracking donation links

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking donation links

Hi to all,

Thanks (in advance) for being around...

We are a Spanish Non-Profit and frequently we ask for money (you know, donations, fundraising) to our friends and supporters.

The question is...

Do you have any experience about some kind of penalizations (I mean, for example in Google email or IP rating) for tracking the donations links?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tracking donation links

The number of (generally legitimate) "Please donate to my Kickstarter" links sent each day is so huge that a donation link in general won't harm your reputation. paypal.com is actually whitelisted by the major domain blacklist (URIBL) so that it isn't accidentally considered harmful!  And the fact that you're tracking (bouncing off the click tracker at Marketo) shouldn't have any aggravating affect in this case.

So while there are a lot of scammy donation pages out there (people with fake illnesses, fake charities, etc.), unless there's some bulletin I missed, simply having a "click to donate" link isn't going to hurt you.  Maybe someone else has more knowledge on this.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Do you mean the donations themselves are supposedly anonymous, but you actually track clicks on the donate link, so you're wondering if that's seen as suspicious? 

Can you explain your worry in deeper detail?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the donations are not supposedly anonymous.

My concern is that I have read 'in some place in the past' (I cannot find now where...) that Google and maybe others companies like Hotmail and so on maybe can badly score and rate (also badly) 'like spam' or in any other negative way (related to reputation) the mails sent with tracked donations links.

Hope I have explained myself now clearly!

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

The number of (generally legitimate) "Please donate to my Kickstarter" links sent each day is so huge that a donation link in general won't harm your reputation. paypal.com is actually whitelisted by the major domain blacklist (URIBL) so that it isn't accidentally considered harmful!  And the fact that you're tracking (bouncing off the click tracker at Marketo) shouldn't have any aggravating affect in this case.

So while there are a lot of scammy donation pages out there (people with fake illnesses, fake charities, etc.), unless there's some bulletin I missed, simply having a "click to donate" link isn't going to hurt you.  Maybe someone else has more knowledge on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Sanford for your kind and quick answer.

As Sanford have said, anyone else have more experience?