Re: Tracking a PDF link on a landing page after filling out a form

Tara_Mason
Level 2

Tracking a PDF link on a landing page after filling out a form

Hello,

I created a form to obtain new leads for those interested in white paper. Once the client fills out the form, it goes to a thank you page with a link. That link is the white paper PDF. I am looking to send an email to the client 3 days after they click on the PDF link. In my campaign smart list, I have tried adding the following:

Trigger: "Visits Web page"

Trigger: "Clicks link on web page"

Filter: "Visited web page"

I receive an error every time I add either my Marketo l.p. URL or the PDF url saying it is an invalid URL. I know I can send an email once the form has been filled out, however we are asking for feedback once they actually review the PDF. How do I capture those who clicked on the PDF link on the Thank You L.P after they filled out the form?

All documentation is without a form--that I can find. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tara

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I suspect you are including the http://. Strip that out before pasting the link.

Also, you don't want multiple triggers: that will create multiple conditions and they *all* could fire (it's , an OR condition). Just trigger on the PDF click.

If they can only reach the PDF link via the Thank You page, there's no reason to filter, either, as that's redundant.

Tara_Mason
Level 2

Thank you. Below is my screenshot of the triggers. I still receive an error message.

I wasn't going to use all those triggers etc haha. I was just implying that I tried them all (just to see) as my URLs wouldn't work for any of them. Sorry for the confusion.

pastedImage_1.png

I changed my "Link Name is" to "Link name contains" and I no longer have the error. Is that due to the fact that the HTTP is no longer a part of the URL?

pastedImage_2.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The red squiggly line isn't an error per se. It means Marketo hasn't indexed the value (= added it to the dropdown) yet, but as long as it can be saved, the trigger will function.

This is an interface bug, really, since the red line can be an error or can be a mere suggestion (think about the underline from a browser's spellcheck, which can be either helpful or off-base).