Tracking SEM/Paid Ad Campaigns in Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking SEM/Paid Ad Campaigns in Marketo

We are scaling our paid advertising campaigns quickly, and I am curious to find out how others are tracking their campaigns in Marketo.

Are you using a traffic cop campaign that pushes a lead to individual programs based on keyword, campaign, content, channel (Google/Bing...), etc.? Or do you use a unique program for just one of these? Or a combination of them?

Like many others, I want to be able to see the ROI from the channel and the campaign at a minimum.

Using UTM codes seems to make the most sense. And grabbing the parameters from these to distribute leads to the individual programs. This way we don't have to create a unique LP or Form for each campaign.

The challenge is being able to report. For example, how do you report individual ads by channel and campaign without having a unique program for each?

Would love to get your thoughts.
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Tracking SEM/Paid Ad Campaigns in Marketo

John,

Yes, use UTM or URL parameters as part of this system. If you are directing your ads to the same place, then this works well with 1 program and page and form. You should have fields that are able to track the various codes and keywords unraveled by the utms or gclid.

I would break up your Campaigns or Groups into separate Programs if you are sending people to different Offers.

To track individual ads, you will have to tag each link with a uniqu AdID. You can then use SFDC or Marketo Smart Lists to report on this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracking SEM/Paid Ad Campaigns in Marketo

Hi John,

I also have a similar query, can you tell me how to approach for the below use case.

My client is running some SEM campaigns and if anyone clicks the ads they will come to a Marketo landing page.

What is the setup i have to do to know if 100 contacts visited that landing page, i want to know how many came from that SEM campaign.

Please let me know your comments.

Thanks Ravi.