Tracking Referral Traffic Back to SalesForce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Referral Traffic Back to SalesForce

We currently have a number of traffic sources and I'd like to capture the first referral and use Marketo to update the contact record in SF to become part of that campaign along with whatever campaign actual caused the form fill.

I'm also curious if our shopping cart can be tied back into the Marketo tracking information.  Our Magento eCom is what pushes customer information back into SF, so it seems like it would be tricky to pick that information up and tied it together.

Thanks!

-Jeff
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracking Referral Traffic Back to SalesForce

Hi Jeff, 

Is your goal to track the success of the original source that brought the traffic to the site? And you are trying to make contact records become part of the SF campaign tied to that traffic source? 

There's a few ways to skin that cat. One possible solution: 
  • Munchkin tracks Original Referrer -- make sure your campaign links are tagged
  • Have a tracking program for each traffic source set up in Marketo
  • Within each program, a triggered smart campaign
    • Smart List Trigger: Data value changes
      • Data value is "Original Referrer"
      • New value contains [your campaign tag]
    • Flow step: Change program status to [your status] in [name of tracking program in Marketo]
  • The Marketo program should synch to the Salesforce campaign and your lead will become a member in SF as well 
Note: don't forget to update statuses in all programs as the lead progresses through your lifecycle. 

Once this data is in SF it should be on the same record as your Magento info and all should be able to synch to Salesforce. 

What are the tricky parts in tying it together?

Cheers, 

Justin
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the name of the "Original Referrer" on the URL string so I can add that to specific strings?

Will Google/Bing Organic search results be tagged as such automatically or is there a way to parse that information out?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jeff, 

Important -- I looked into it a bit more and I would actually revise my suggestions above based on something I discovered. 

Original referrer is a standard Marketo field that is passed when the lead becomes known (fills out a form). Example

0EM50000000S64N.jpg

Unfortunately, the database will truncate this field at 255 characters. I checked with Mkto support and this is a hard limit and there is not a way around it that does not involve custom coding. So any tags on the end of that parameter (after all the Google mish-mash) will be lost. No good. 

The practice I would suggest you follow instead (what we do) is to
  • tag your links with the values you want to capture (e.g., "www.yoursite.com?LeadSource=Google+Adwords&AdGroup=Group+1") 
  • optional: If the user can travel around your site before completing a form, you would need to save these parameters to a cookie to not lose them
  • create custom fields in Salesforce for each of the parameters you are interested in 
  • on your Marketo forms, create hidden form fields that map to the Salesforce fields and that pull either from the querystring parameters directly or from the cookie values (see this article for more info)
The end result will be something like the screen shot above from my instance. 

This can be done without custom coding UNLESS you need to save the values to a cookie, in which case you'd need some dev help.

Sorry my original suggestion won't work -- I was trying to keep things simple for you but this method will ultimately be a lot more flexible and can be done without too much fuss. 

In terms of your question around Organic leads: these categories are not created by default in your Marketo instance so you would need to define and group your leads inside Marketo according to your own business logic. 

What we've done is create a segmentation that groups leads according to various rules into buckets like Search Engine Marketing, Organic Search, etc. 

Here's what those rules look like for our Organic Search segment: 

0EM50000000S64S.jpg

Essentially, any lead where the Original Referrer contains a search engine (Filter 2) and where there is no value for PPC Ad (Filter 3) came in organically. 

Filter 1 is just there in case we need to manually set the lead source ourselves to force the lead into a correct segment.

This can get tricky but works well once you get it running. If you run into any troubles feel free to shot me an email justin at clearfit dot com