Re: Tracking Original Lead Source

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Original Lead Source

Hi Everyone,

Pretty new to Marketo and working on setting up all of our campaign tracking. I want to be able to track the original source  (their very first interaction with our site). I can track the source itself (PPC, organic search etc.) but I am unable to get Marketo to auto-populate campaign by pulling the utm_campaign parameter from the original referrer URL.

I tracked the lead source by running a smart campaign when a new lead comes in that is a bunch of if statements based on the original referrer URL. i.e. if original referrer contains "Paid Search - Google" then change lead source to Paid Search - Google.

Is there some way to build another smart campaign that says something like if original referrer has utm_campaign parameter then change campaign field to the campaign parameter?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Do you want to do this when the lead is anonymous or when they fill out a form?

Forms - yes, but they must fill out the form at that first moment. You should use hidden fields based on the utms. See Marketo Form Best PracticesMarketing Rockstar Guides

There are other threads that discuss the javascript required to keep the utms when the lead hits a page other than the Form page. I am unsure but that code could be used to help place the utms on anonymous records.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

I went through the guides but didnt find an answer to my issue

I ran a visitor report for one of our assets. The asset is not gated. In the report, the 'original lead source' for all the visitors is empty. Not sure what is going on. would appreciate your help on this?

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alex - THANK YOU for sharing this article. It's SO HELPFUL!

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Thanks Jamie, but Marketo Champion Courtney Grimes​ is the author and the one to thank!