SOLVED

Tracking Link in Email - Report?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Link in Email - Report?

We run customer surveys through SurveyGizmo.  We send an email from Marketo directing our customers to the survey e.g. ww.surveygizmo.com/1234567.

I'm being asked by our Services team - who filled the survey out?  When I export the data from SurveyGizmo, I can see the referring link e.g. http://pages.acme.com/Q0PQ0HB0SH3qw0F0B00W650.  This, I assume, is the unique link for that specific lead that was sent in the email from Marketo.

Is there any way I can get a report in Marketo that will show me what referring link was SENT in the email so that I can match the data from the two systems in Excel? 

(If no, are there better survey tools that integrate with Marketo in this way?)

Thanks in advance!

PS Orginal Referrer field, I think, is no good - these folks are already in the database from various sources and are sent multiple surveys over time.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracking Link in Email - Report?

Richard-

Are you specifically wanting a Marketo report to tell you who is completing the surveys?  

If not, you can actually do this right through Survey Gizmo.  Add custom URL info to your survey link to pull in whatever Marketo token data you want to use to identify survey takers (name, ID, etc.).  If you need detailed directions, check out SG's help site for customing your URL - they have a super simple tutorial.  

You should be able to then populate that data into hidden fields onto your SG survey itself.   When you pull stats from Survey Gizmo, you'll be grabbing all of the data you're passing via the Marketo email link.  You shouldn't need to compare anything in Excel depending on what data you're extracting.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can run an Email Performance Link report to see which links were clicked. You can then run a smart list to say

Email Was Sent or Email Was Clicked, link is X
to see who clicked

But to tie it back to proper survey completions will require excel as far I know.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Richard-

Are you specifically wanting a Marketo report to tell you who is completing the surveys?  

If not, you can actually do this right through Survey Gizmo.  Add custom URL info to your survey link to pull in whatever Marketo token data you want to use to identify survey takers (name, ID, etc.).  If you need detailed directions, check out SG's help site for customing your URL - they have a super simple tutorial.  

You should be able to then populate that data into hidden fields onto your SG survey itself.   When you pull stats from Survey Gizmo, you'll be grabbing all of the data you're passing via the Marketo email link.  You shouldn't need to compare anything in Excel depending on what data you're extracting.

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I figured it out.  I did not find anything useful on Surveygizmo's site, but based on Jessica T.'s suggestion, I appended the following token to the survey link in my outgoing email from Marketo "&MID={{Lead.ID:Default=Empty}}" where MID just stands for Marketo ID.

So, user gets the email, clicks on the link and takes the survey.  Now, when I export my data from Surveygizmo, I choose the option to  "inlcude URL variables" (using the full export, not the Quick Export) and the export file includes a column with the MID value for each row/response.

I can then run an export from Marketo of all the leads who were sent (or maybe clicked) the outgoing Marketo email, and use a VLOOKUP in Excel to compare the MID values from the two sources.

This way our users don't have to fill out their personal info when taking the survey, but we can still go back and match responses to specific users/leads.

Thanks very much again for the help!
Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Thanks Richard for the valuable feedback. Can you help me set this up. Did you do a campaign tag on the URL?