SOLVED

Re: Tracking Link Clicks in Marketo Email via SFDC

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Tracking Link Clicks in Marketo Email via SFDC

I am sending out an email with 4 links. I want to be able to pull the list of people who clicked each link in SFDC. Is there a way to do this? I know that Marketo records clicks and opens 2x a day per lead, so it's possible that Marketo will not send all the link clickers to SFDC.

Let me know if you need more details to help me out.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

You just need a smart campaign with a "clicks link in email" trigger and a "create task" flow step:

pastedImage_1.png

You will be able to assign the task and set some values. But you will also stuff you salesforce DB with so many tasks that it will ultimately overload it and the users. Finally, my experience is that no one looks at them.

-Greg

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Once per day per lead.

The only way to do this would be to forcibly use the Create (SFDC) Task flow step to make every click a new task.  Otherwise, as you said, you can't expect to get all the clicks.

This isn't something I would recommend leaving in place for all campaigns.

Danielle_Wong

Okay, thanks so much for the info and for clarifying about the once per day per lead.

Are you able to provide more detail into the "Create SFDC Task" flow step to make every click a new task? Is it possible to create a SFDC lead history item is that what the SFDC task is?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

You just need a smart campaign with a "clicks link in email" trigger and a "create task" flow step:

pastedImage_1.png

You will be able to assign the task and set some values. But you will also stuff you salesforce DB with so many tasks that it will ultimately overload it and the users. Finally, my experience is that no one looks at them.

-Greg

Danielle_Wong

Okay, i'll give this a try. Ultimately, what I'm looking for is to be able to pull a Leads with Activity report in Salesforce, showing all leads who clicked link A, and pull separate reports showing all leads who clicked links B, C, and D.  Therefore, every click needs to be recorded in SF, and it seems it won't be since Marketo only syncs that info once a day per lead.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle Chan,

Second thought: I would not use tasks, I would use sfdc campaigns. Just create an SFDC campaign for each link in your email. They can be sub campaigns of the campaign that is linked to your program. Set the campaign statuses to only 1 status: clicked (through the advanced setup button in the campaign screen, in SGDC)

Then, create 4 smart campaigns in Marketo, one for each link. Trigger: "clicks link in email", flow step: "add to SFDC campaign".

Each Marketo lead would be present in each campaign if they have clicked at least once in the related link, but it will not add multiple entries if the lead clicks many times on that link.

Pulling the list in SFDC will be very easy: just run the campaign member report. It will have the key advantage to provide you both with contacts and leads in the same report.

-Greg

Danielle_Wong

Great, this is a very nice alternative. I already set up my campaigns with the tasks. And i'm comfortable with pulling the reports for it. For my next one, i'll try the  campaigns route.

I truly appreciate all the time you spent on this.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Hold up -

According to the docs: "Only one open event per email, per lead, per smart campaign is logged. If they open the same email from their inbox twice, it will not be logged more than once."

A click is logged: "

Is logged every time a decorated URL from the email is loaded in the browser (the result of clicking the link). Usually this is the recipient clicking, but can also be a cut/paste.

Where do you get that a click is only logged once?  I think the spamtrap analysis I did shows otherwise.

Robb Barrett
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's not about about the logging to Marketo. The Clicked Link in Email and other activities are only synced once per day per lead to SFDC.

Danielle_Wong

So you're saying that Marketo actually does log every time a lead clicks a link within an email? So if someone were to click 3 different links in one email, each click will be recorded and synced with Salesforce's lead activity history?