Re: Tracking Lead Stage Progression Attributed to a Campaign

Virginia_Smith
Level 2

Tracking Lead Stage Progression Attributed to a Campaign

I'm looking for the best way to build a report that shows how each lead/contact associated with an engagement program progressed in Lead Stage due to interaction with that engagement program. Is this doable on the Marketo side? We have a holistic lead scoring model in place that correlates to the Lead Stage setup. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am doing this reporting manually and it is a huge pain!

8 REPLIES 8
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Build the key data points into interesting moments to be able to check per record.

or

Create custom fields to track timestamp + Lead Stage at entry into nurture program and timestamp + Lead Stage at exhaustion/exit of nurture program

Virginia_Smith
Level 2

I am circling back here because I have a follow-up question now that I am thinking this through. ..

I think your suggestion of the custom fields of timestamp and lead stage is great and I plan on using that. However, I do not know that it is going to solve my problem entirely...

I am trying to figure out if the people become a certain lead stage BECAUSE of the nurture program only. For example, we have a threshold of a 55 point lead score before a person can hit the lead stage of 'MQL-Warm' which then goes to sales. Even though the person may have entered the nurture program a the stage before 'MQL-Warm' and exited the nurture program at the new stage of 'MQL-Warm' does not necessarily mean the nurture program caused the change. They could have clicked around on our website or filled out a different form to get them to that 55 point threshold. Does that make sense? I am looking to single out the people that hit that threshold from the nurture program only.

Another example.. maybe their lead score was 0 before the nurture program.. They filled out a form associated with the nurture program and gained 45 points but they independently went to our website and clicked around later getting 10 more points to move them to the 'MQL-Warm' stage since they hit 55 points. I wouldn't credit the nurture program for this change in the stage.

I know I can check each record independently in their interesting moments to track down what happened but we have thousands of people in this nurture program. I hope to be able to pull a report but I keep running into dead ends.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

So you want to create a "Last Touch" custom field that tracks key programs or scoring campaigns and a separate custom field for MQL-warm Last Touch that copies what ever is in the Last Touch field upon reaching MQL-warm.

Then for your reporting, you'd filter the MQL-warm Last Touch for the specific nurture program

Virginia_Smith
Level 2

Great suggestion, I will give that a shot. Thank you! The custom fields need to be created in our Salesforce instance, right?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Custom fields don't necessarily have to be created in Salesforce. If you need it in Salesforce - e.g. if you're doing the reporting out of salesforce, then create them in salesforce.

In actual fact, none of our lifecycle tracking fields are in salesforce.

Virginia_Smith
Level 2

Thanks! I am going to have them created in Salesforce and since our Salesforce instance is integrated with our Marketo Instance, those fields will automatically flow over to Marketo, right? Do I have to do anything to set them up on the Marketo side?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

You're correct. Creating custom fields in salesforce will automatically create a syncing custom field in Marketo.

However, within salesforce, you will need to create custom fields on the Lead and Contact objects and map the field from Lead to Contact.

Virginia_Smith
Level 2

Thanks for the help, Jay! We got our custom fields created and mapped to Marketo. I appreciate you walking me through this!