Track Form Fill

Anonymous
Not applicable

Track Form Fill

I am trying to create a smart campaign that tracks people who filled out a form on a specific landing page - but only if they clicked the landing page from an email link. 

We use the landing page and associated form for a specific asset in multiple places.  We do not want to have multiple landing pages for the same asset, however we want to capture who filled out the form based on how they came to find the landing page, ie: the website, an email promo, etc.

I tried to filter the smart campaign -

Clicks link in Email (trigger) -

Email is - ABC

Link is - ABC123

Fills Out Form (trigger) -

Form Name is - BCD

The parameters above do not work in the way in which I intended.  The flow includes an alert email if the parameters above were met - however, I received the alert if the form was filled out when clicking the link from the email or website.  Any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Track Form Fill

Hi Julie,

The right way to set this up is to set the link in the email with an URL parameter. E.g. http://go.mydomain.com/mypage.html?source=myemail.

Then you will have to capture the URL parameter value in a hidden field (if necessary create a field in admin-> field management) in the form. See Set a Hidden Form Field Value - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Finally, you will have to set the smart list of the smart campaign as is:

• Trigger: "fills out form", form IS BCD
  • filter: clicksource IS myemail (if the hidden field is "clicksource")

in the flow, do not forget to reset the field "clicksource", with a change data value, attribute: clicksource, new value: NULL

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Track Form Fill

Make no mistake: Greg's recommendation is the "rightest" way to do this. Only via source-tagging your URLs can you get bulletproof attribution.

But you don't have to save the source tag to your database if you don't want to. You can still constrain the trigger by Referrer [contains] "clicksource=myemail*.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, the reason your attempt didn't work was that triggers are OR conditions.