SOLVED

Tokenized subject lines in a Champion/Challenger A/B test

Go to solution
Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

Tokenized subject lines in a Champion/Challenger A/B test

I'm running a Champion/Challenger A/B subject line test on a trigger campaign, and I'm trying to use a tokenized email script to personalize the subject line with the person's first name. 

Without the Champion/Challenger test, the token works just fine.  However, once I set up the test and try to send myself sample emails, I don't receive anything (and therefore can't confirm if the personalization is still working). 

I may have to go to Support, but just wanted to check around here if there any known limitations to what you can do with tokenized subject lines in a Champion/Challenger test.

Megan_Koelemay_1-1612796890312.png

Megan_Koelemay_0-1612796863270.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tokenized subject lines in a Champion/Challenger A/B test

First, in the specific context of a Champion/Challenger Subject Line AB Test (not a batch Subject Line AB Test) Dynamic Content™ is not allowed.

You'd see this error if you try to Approve Test with Dynamic Content™ (distinguishing the ™ type from Velocity-based dynamic content):

2021-02-08 16_37_00-Marketo _ Program Lab 9296 - AB CC • Marketing Activities.png

However, that caveat only pertains to Dynamic Content (that is, segmented content within the Email Editor UI, not Velocity). You shouldn't have any problem with a Velocity-driven Subject lines. I'd suggest looking more deeply into the Activity Log to see what actually happened to these emails.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

First, in the specific context of a Champion/Challenger Subject Line AB Test (not a batch Subject Line AB Test) Dynamic Content™ is not allowed.

You'd see this error if you try to Approve Test with Dynamic Content™ (distinguishing the ™ type from Velocity-based dynamic content):

2021-02-08 16_37_00-Marketo _ Program Lab 9296 - AB CC • Marketing Activities.png

However, that caveat only pertains to Dynamic Content (that is, segmented content within the Email Editor UI, not Velocity). You shouldn't have any problem with a Velocity-driven Subject lines. I'd suggest looking more deeply into the Activity Log to see what actually happened to these emails.

Megan_Koelemay
Level 4

It's a Velocity-based script (achieved via an Email Script token in the My Tokens tab, then plugged into the subject line as {{my.SubjectLine}}.

@SanfordWhiteman wrote:

I'd suggest looking more deeply into the Activity Log to see what actually happened to these emails.

Where can I find the Activity Log you're referencing?    

SanfordWhiteman

Meaning see if the person qualified to receive the emails and has a Sent Email in their Activity Log. You'd said you didn't receive the emails in your inbox, so that's a clue that you need further digging. I tested the exact setup you described and it worked.