Re: Tips for newbie implementing and managing Marketo for the first time

Abhishek_Chand2
Level 5

There is a lot of information available on community and also most of the important points are shared by members. One can always rely on community to find the answers of all the doubts. For a newbie I would like to recommend that one should also understand the SPF and DKIM concepts and how it effects the deliverability and what is required from the IT team within the organization. Also, another important point to consider is whitelisting of Marketo servers, IT team can certainly help here.

Abhishek Chandra
Priyank_Joshi3
Level 6

1) Get familiar with your Marketo tool, try and explore all the icons Resource for Newbies: Glossary of Icons 

2) Get started with Marketo Quick Wins, Getting Started - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation 

3) Refer Product docs and Marketo community to get all of your answers solved. 

4) Refer product docs to lear how Marketo and CRM functions.

Hope this helps to speed up your Marketo learnings.

Thanks!

Priyank

Cayce_Armstrong
Level 4

Hi Lisa Forson‌! I'm about 3 years in to setting up our Marketo instance and CRM (NetSuite) integration from scratch and I still read through the comments on posts like yours because there's always something new to learn from the Community. I wish I had asked for advice from other Marketo users when I first started because everything mentioned in the comments to your post are things I wish I had done from the get-go.

My implementation was a rushed due to a 3 month deadline I had to switch from Pardot to Marketo. In that time I had to learn how Marketo worked, figure out how to connect Marketo to our NetSuite CRM via Vertify, re-create everything in Marketo that previously existed in Pardot (web forms, autoresponders, email campaigns, etc) and add additional forms for two more of our brands. 

I don't know if my experience was unique but if I were to do it all again, I would have told my managers that 3 months is not enough time to do everything they had asked of me and expect it to be quality work. In the end it all got done, but I'm still going back and making "fixes" to the things that were rushed and not thought through. So, my advice is to make sure you take the time to learn the basics of Marketo and set your instance up correctly now so you don't have to go back and redo everything later. I would also recommend that you find someone - either a consultant that specializes in Marketo, or someone at your company who has experience using Marketo - that you can learn from or go to with questions as you're setting things up. The Community is also a great resource, which it looks like you've already discovered, and so are MUG groups!

PS - The Marketo Jumpstart and Marketo Success emails that Meghana Rao‌ linked to above were not available when I started using Marketo, but I've received several of those emails and they are very helpful!

Cayce Armstrong
Rob_Cummerson
Level 2

Hi Lisa, 

Welcome to the community. What I will say is every organisation is different and you have to make it work for you which I am sure you will do. Some of the things to consider 

1) Make sure you align it with your CRM and the way your business works. The relationship should be seamless and which platform is the master

2) Define your lead life cycle process and be clear on the rules. Where does marketing hand over to sales and what should sales be doing to progress

3) Naming conventions - an absolute must for usage and reporting

4) Define user roles Admin & general usage 

5) How will your data be managed - partitions, work spaces and what rules do you want around each 

6) Document everything, it can be a nightmare but it is worth it. I used Vidyard to record short videos which worked really well

7) Define your super users and supporters early 

😎 Define standard approaches to how you use campaigns and build some master templates out

9) Consider other tech in your organisation and how you can integrate it 

Good luck and feel free to reach out if you need any help 

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Document everything! Especially key processes like your lead lifecycle. Also it's a great idea to create a field library to document what important fields do and which system is setting the values.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

For me it's all about streamlining. Starting fresh is the best time to make sure you have as many programs using as few processes as possible. Streamline your lifecycle processes to stamp people so you don't have every net new lead through a program going through 4 different flow steps that you can do globally.

Also, that goes for sub-processes as well. If you have a contact us process, manage each location/url through a different smart campaign, but manage the data through one singular, global process. Now if you ever have to change something globally, it should be simple and confident in effectiveness.