SOLVED

Testing Engagment Streams That Use Smart Campaigns Instead of Transition Rules

Go to solution
Kristin_Johnso2
Level 2

Testing Engagment Streams That Use Smart Campaigns Instead of Transition Rules

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but how can you test streams that utilize smart campaigns rather than the transition rules. We have 7+ streams, each person begins in stream 1 and based on their engagement with the emails in stream it will move them to another stream. In the testing of the streams I am not able to trigger the logic. Any helpful hints would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Testing Engagment Streams That Use Smart Campaigns Instead of Transition Rules

Hard to say for sure, although I tend to agree with Greg here.

But you have a good point. The Transition in easier when you have a clear action:

• Clicks Link in Email A
  • Score >=40

In your case, you need a batch or trigger that says if ANY of the three emails gets a CLICK, push to Stream B, C, or D, so you need a choice step. You can do this in the Transitions too, but I might just do the smart campaign because it will more easily let you use Choices and Member of Stream.

Testing:

• You can use the Test Cast option, or you can
  • Clone the Engagement, set the Wait Steps to 2 seconds or Transition Campaigns to just your seed list using Email Address CONTAINS or IS.
  • Then send each Cast with the Test and do the behavior you expect for each Transition or Transition Campaign.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Testing Engagment Streams That Use Smart Campaigns Instead of Transition Rules

Hi Kristin,

Question : Is there anything specific you need to do that the transition rules would not do ?

When you test the engagement program, it will just send you the casts, but never fire any associated smart campaign or transition rule by itself. For this, you will have to fire the events that will trigger your transition smart campaigns, such as clicking in the emails or filling out the form, etc...

-Greg

Kristin_Johnso2
Level 2

Hi Greg,

Answer: Yes, I need to trigger a different stream depending on which email in the stream they click on. It's a simple 3 offer email, each one is a different topic. Our goal is to move them into a topic specific stream depending on which email in the first 3 offer stream they engage with. After reviewing all of the Marketo engagement documentation they recommended if complex logic was needed, to use smart campaigns rather than the standard transition rules.

I am attempting to fire the events to trigger the transition but it doesn't appear to be working. All content in my streams are live, all smart campaigns active. My cadence has not yet been set, is causing any issues?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kristin,

From what you write, I do not have the impression that your logic is that complex that the transition rules would not fit

Without more info, I would probably start by questioning the design of the smart campaigns themselves. I do not think that the cadence has to be set to add leads to streams or change their streams. One of the point to look into is that, since you probably use the "Change Engagement Program Stream" in your smart campaigns, are your test leads member of the engagement program? If not, then this flow step might be useless. You need to review the activity log of the lead you use as test (yourself) to see whether this lead triggers the smart campaign or not.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hard to say for sure, although I tend to agree with Greg here.

But you have a good point. The Transition in easier when you have a clear action:

• Clicks Link in Email A
  • Score >=40

In your case, you need a batch or trigger that says if ANY of the three emails gets a CLICK, push to Stream B, C, or D, so you need a choice step. You can do this in the Transitions too, but I might just do the smart campaign because it will more easily let you use Choices and Member of Stream.

Testing:

• You can use the Test Cast option, or you can
  • Clone the Engagement, set the Wait Steps to 2 seconds or Transition Campaigns to just your seed list using Email Address CONTAINS or IS.
  • Then send each Cast with the Test and do the behavior you expect for each Transition or Transition Campaign.