Tags and tracking interest

Diane_LoBiondo1
Level 1

Tags and tracking interest

Sanford Whiteman

Hi Sanford,

Thank you for the quick response. A few more clarification questions:

1) Can we track on multiple data events at one time? Multiple search terms for example. In the Web personalization set segment section, it appears that we can only use one event and not multiple at the same time.

Example use case: User visits a page tag has been tagged with the following taxonomies: “fire resilience”, “wall insulation”. We would like in Marketo to be able to know which taxonomies across all those page visits the user has visited the most, e.g. 4 tags with “fire resilience” compared to only 2 in “wall insulation”, and based off of that information set another field with “interest = fire resilience”.This will need to work for anonymous (unknown) leads. Currently it looks like this data would only be available through the Web Personalization API?

2) I see we can segment rules we setup to be applied to Anonymous leads. I know Marketo changed how they report anonymous visitor information, is there still a way to see this data or do we have to wait for the user to be known to see interest activity.

3) Under segments for the “custom variable”, how can we customize this as I could not find an editing function. 

Our overall concern is that we want to make sure that using tags/taxomony to track interest as opposed to the standard page URL process will work that same way and what the implications might be if not. Otherwise, we will stick with the standard process. We are trying to avoid configurations with too much customization (i.e.: workaround coding, etc.) 

We also need to ensure that we can track custom events for unknown leads, make assumptions based on those events (e.g. derive interest out of taxonomies), and serve that information back to the site to personalize the experience without the “lead” necessarily is known, e.g. get data back from marketo without the user having a lead id.

Appreciate your insight here.

Thank you,

Diane

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tags and tracking interest

...4 tags with “fire resilience” compared to only 2 in “wall insulation”, and based off of that information set another field with “interest = fire resilience”.This will need to work for anonymous (unknown) leads. Currently it looks like this data would only be available through the Web Personalization API?

Yes, I imagine you could do this by using a combination of different segments, an API get and then an API set of the most popular one for a kind of super-segmentation.

2) I see we can segment rules we setup to be applied to Anonymous leads. I know Marketo changed how they report anonymous visitor information, is there still a way to see this data or do we have to wait for the user to be known to see interest activity.

In the standard MLM UI you have limited visibility into anonymous activities while the session as a whole is still anonymous.

3) Under segments for the “custom variable”, how can we customize this as I could not find an editing function.

Custom Variables come from the client (JS API).