Re: Tagging emails with project numbers

Kelly_Harman1
Level 2

Tagging emails with project numbers

We use a lot of project numbers/tactic numbers. What is the best way to tag and email with this code without having it be part of its name? I need it somewhere that the API can pick it up and add it into CRM. Thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You need to be explicit about what you mean by "tag." I assume you cannot use program tags because of the dynamic range of values. Where do you want to see/report on this data? Explain your business reqs in full.

Kelly_Harman1
Level 2

Correct. It can't be program tags because there would be a new one for each email. I don't need to see it in reporting but we do need to pass it through to CRM since the #s are tied to campaigns in CRM. We use Eloqua today (switching to marketo) and we display it in the email name but I was trying to get away from that. Are there better options for tying tactic numbers to things? That's why I was hoping I could use a tag of some sort for this data.

SanfordWhiteman

You still need to extrapolate on "through to CRM" which has many, many variations. How are you syncing campaigns in general to CRM? How are you syncing email assets + send activities?

Kelly_Harman1
Level 2

We are in the process of implementing Marketo now with a rest API. Maybe I need to ask this question another way.

If we use other programs to track marketing campaigns (workfront). How do we track this number (we call it a tactic number) in CRM without having it be the name of the asset.

The goal would be to know that xyz email was the reason the person did _____.  Where could I put this number since it can't be a tag since it would change so often? I was just looking for help/ideas to keep things clean and having that assets names make sense instead of having the assets be named with project numbers. I need to tell our developers how to set things up and where to look for all the pieces they need when they are doing the integration.

Does that make sense?

SanfordWhiteman

We are in the process of implementing Marketo now with a rest API.

But which REST API endpoints? Again, this doesn't reveal enough detail.

People (even, sadly, tech professionals) forget that an API-based connection is the opposite of a deep connection between systems. An API explicitly represents a layer in-between systems. It's distinguished by having all of its features publicly documented and accessed in well-known ways, not by how many features are offered.

For one of infinite examples, Marketo offers a REST API endpoint that can read and write {{my.tokens}}. But not all types of tokens are supported. The mere existence of an API endpoint called "Update Token Values" doesn't mean suddenly all is revealed, just means what is revealed is (hopefully) documented, so no mysteries ensue!

If we use other programs to track marketing campaigns (workfront). How do we track this number (we call it a tactic number) in CRM without having it be the name of the asset.

You really can't.

You could manually add Program-level {{my.tokens}} to store the tactic number. But it's unlikely that your tech team will understand how to sync changes to these over efficiently without running out of API calls. Of course I have no idea what API endpoints they're actually imagining using at all. If they aren't fluent in how Marketo works, as at least semi-powerful Marketo users, they won't build a successful integration. (Sorry, just the way it is. I see it all the time.)

Kelly_Harman1
Level 2

Thanks! Can you message me directly? I'm now concerned.