Syncing with a custom field in Salesforce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Syncing with a custom field in Salesforce

If anyone has any feedback, I'm wondering how things would play out if I added a validation rule to one of the fields within the Lead record. The field would be set to require a default value other than the one which would already have been set. e.g. Choose One

The Choose One is the default value for a picklist. The idea is to report on this field, so the validation rule would force the user to select an option other than this default.

I will be checking the SFDC side, but checking here, as well, since it's a Marketo lead sync.

Thank you for any feedback.
jz
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Syncing with a custom field in Salesforce

the marketo sync user would likely be forced to do something, leading to a failure to sync that field. I don't completely understand your use case though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thx, Josh!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do know that validation rules on the SFDC side, which prevent the Marketo user from saving a certain value, don't log an error on the Marketo side -- Marketo's activity log will show the flow step happening like normal, but the change simply doesn't save in SFDC.  I am not sure what would happen on the SFDC side if Marketo attempts to create a record with a validation-rule-restricted value, though.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good stuff; thanks, Nate!
jz
Anonymous
Not applicable

Validation rules in Salesforce are able to reference the current user, along with their profile and role. This means you can setup the validation rule so it will only be enforced for certain users.

https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=fields_useful_validation_formulas_userroleprofile.htm&l...

Also: if you don't absolutely need to have "Choose One" as the default, you can leave the default value blank, and only set the field to required on the page layout for those users.

Please note: In both situations, the first user to edit the record (after Marketo syncs it) will be forced to select a value in that field before they can save (unless that user/profile/role is excluded, of course)