Re: Syncing Opportunity Line Item Data to Marketo

Sam_Skala
Level 1

Syncing Opportunity Line Item Data to Marketo

I have seen a few posts about related topics but I have not found a complete response to this situation.

Our org would like to sync opportunity line item data from SFDC to Marketo and leverage this information to target different members of our customer base. The desired outcome here would be the ability to pull smart lists with criteria that target accounts that have or do not have specific products based on opportunity line items.

Has anyone else been able to achieve this or something similar? 

8 REPLIES 8
Mariah_Mattick
Level 4

Hi Sam - Marketo should be able to read the Opportunity and Account objects with the native SFDC sync: SFDC Sync: Opportunity Sync - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation. Is this not the case in your instance?

Mariah Mattick
Sam_Skala
Level 1

Hey Mariah,

The opportunity line item is a distinct object from the opportunity and cannot be referenced in the same way as an opp through Marketo. Support claims that a custom object needs to be created and the info from the opportunity line item needs to be transferred to that object. I wanted to make sure that others had not accomplished this in another way before going down that road. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You need another CO.

Support for the built-in Opportunity and Opportunity-related objects is both more robust and less robust than support for fully custom objects.

On the one hand, Opportunity is technically a 2nd-level object, via Opportunity Contact Role, yet Marketo allows you to pass through that relationship and access the Opportunity in Velocity. This is not possible with a site-specific CO.

On the other hand... what you are describing today.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Hi Sam,

we went down that road. We have Opp Line Items in our Salesforce as well, and we sync them into a Marketo Custom Object by using an integration service. In our current case Vertify (Enterprise Cloud Data Management & Integration Platform - Vertify), but we had used Scribe for similar projects in the past too (TIBCO Product Documentation).

Sam_Skala
Level 1

Maybe I am misunderstanding the recommendations. My impression from Marketo support was that I would need to create a Salesforce custom object and sync the data from the Opportunity Line Item to that object and then sync that object to Marketo. 

If I am understanding Michael Florin correctly, I could create a Marketo custom object and sync data from the standard object in Salesforce to that object using a third-party tool. 

Sanford Whiteman‌, were you suggesting the Marketo or the SFDC custom object solution? 

Curious which one would be the lowest effort. 

SanfordWhiteman

I'm suggesting the SFDC CO, I see that as lower effort since (a) you probably already have investment in SFDC-savvy developers and (b) all the data must be in SFDC already.

Sam_Skala
Level 1

Alternatively, what about using the asset object related to the SFDC account? It looks like this is an object can be selected to sync to Marketo and should have all the information needed without creating a custom object.

SanfordWhiteman

If it already has what you need, sure.