Re: Syncing Custom Fields to RCA - Dimension vs Metric

Anonymous
Not applicable

Syncing Custom Fields to RCA - Dimension vs Metric

I'm just learning Revenue Explorer and can see that I need to sync our relevant custom fields to RCA. However, when you do so you are presented with a choice - to sync the field as a metric or as a dimension. Can someone point me to documentation that explains the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

this should be under the University>RCE docs. There's not a direct link.

In my experience, I've found that it almost always makes me do a Dimension, not a metric. It's up to you, but keep in mind that Metrics will be rows/columns vs. data points.

Josh_Hill13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh -

It defaults to Dimension most of the time but you have a choice. And once I started creating reports I could see why most fields belong as dimensions. You're right about Metrics being data points - or "Measures" as they are referred to in the Revenue Explorer reports - for example, a Metric or Measure might be "Members" where you have a column of Programs Names and a Column of Member next to it populated by the number of members in each program.

The University presentations teach you that you need to sync the custom fields to RCA but don't explain the choice between dimension and metric. I didn't find it documented anywhere else, either. But it is easier to understand once you start creating reports.

Thank you!

Denise

Dan_Stevens_

A simple way to look at this is DIMENSIONS are attributes you want to include in your reports (country, lead score, program tags, etc.); while METRICS are what you want to measure (e.g., program success measures, status count).  Most of the items you add will be DIMENSIONS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

Yup - you're right. Thank you. This became clear to me once I began building reports. It's just a question of the Marketo learning material not being presented in the best order (and being incomplete on this).

Thanks again!

Denise