Re: Subscription Center options/email program unsubscribes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Subscription Center options/email program unsubscribes

I have a working subscription center with opt-ins on a form setting boolean values (Webinar T/F, Newsletter T/F...). Each email program has a filter with the specific opt-in type of message going out set as true. The subscription management page has the 5 opt ins and three buttons (subscribe to all, suspend, and unsubscribe from all). All of these are controlled with smart campaigns setting the opt-in , marketing suspended, and unsubscribed booleans. However, when we run a batch email and someone unsubscribes, the unsubscribe metric in the dashboard is not reflecting the change. Their lead information shows unsubscribed but the email dashboard stays at 0% for unsubscribes. In admin I have changed the default unsubscribe anchor to the new management landing page:  href="%mkt_opt_out_prefix%Subscription-Preferences.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##"

My question is how can I set it so if any opt-in boolean is changed to false, the email program will reflect an unsubscribe even though it is not changing the systems "unsubscribed" value? If that is not possible, I'd at least like to get the systems unsubscribe to attribute the change to the specific email program it came from.

This is the best information I've found on the subject but still unable to figure out how Marketo attributes unsubscribes in email programs. I've heard to delete {{system.unsubscribeLink}}, show it with a line height of 0 (hidden), and a bunch of others. I'd like to get more information on how Marketo actually uses this token and the unsubscribe system as a whole before testing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Also, if I need to clarify or post code just let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

In order to reflect the unsubscribe activity, you need to fulfill the following criteria:

1. The user must click a tracked unsubscribe link, and have the mkt_tok parameter in the url
  2. The URL must have the query parameter mkt_unsubscribe=1
  3. The user must fill out a Marketo form on the page
  4. The form fillout must change the value of the unsubscribed field to true
  5. The page must be <landing page CNAME>/UnsubscribePage.html

You've got 1-4 covered, but you're missing number 5.  There's really no workaround for this at present.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the fast response Kenny! Ahh, so close... but I will give that a try tomorrow and follow up. Thanks again.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Sure thing, Tony.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Tony,

Do you absolutely need each and every email send to record the unsub for that email? If not, then these steps aren't necessary for an email sub center to work.

An alternative is to use a dual system in the footer like some firms:

• Unsubscribe goes to the System Unsubscribe link and the default page process as Kenny described.
  • Manage Preferences goes to your new page

Thus you update the Admin Footer to show BOTH options. The goal of the email pref center is to reduce unsubs anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback Josh. We would like to have some indication of the unsubscribe metric in each email but do not want a click to the subscription preference page considered an unsub. If I understand Kenny and you correctly then any link in the footer with CNAME/anypage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK## will trigger the unsubscribe metric in the dashboard? I only want to have a single 'Manage Preferences' link in the footer to take them to the page with options, like you stated the center is to reduce opt-outs and unsubs. If that is the case my href can just be the LP url without tokens and I can just run a smart list to report on the unsub actions per email. Also, would my unsubscribe to all link in the sub center, if using the '?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##' query, trigger the metric in the email dashboard? So, Email footer > Sub center > Unsub to all link> unsub LP. Seems like a deep reach to attribute the unsub per email though. I have no issue bypassing the unsub metric in the dashboard if that means I do not get false unsubs when clicking to the sub center, I just want to make sure what I am doing follows best practice.