Re: Submitted form with no fields filled out

Anonymous
Not applicable

Submitted form with no fields filled out

I just received an alert email (aka lead filled out a form) with all the lead information blank. Then I went into the results tab of the campaign to try and find out and I see a bunch of "failed: required field missing". I don't understand how this lead was able to click submit and get pushed through the campaign if he/she didn't fill out any fields. How is this possible???
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a more technical answer but at a high level, the required fields don't always work depending on a user's settings.

We saw this a lot and then added the following to all of our alert campaigns.

SF Type = Lead or Contact
                               OR
                    Lead Status NOT Unqualified
                      etc

By doing the above, it ensured alerts don't fire unless the lead has min requirements. Also helps reduce alerts from leads that  are bogus, etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So did this lead actually fill out information, but i'm just not able to see it?
Anonymous
Not applicable

One way that this can happen is if you have a progressive profiling form and the lead changes their email address when submitting a subsequent form.  As little as the email address will be captured in this case.  I created an alert email for this situation that is sent to me and it includes the Anonymous IP address.  I then search for that IP address and I can frequently find at least one other record, which I may merge with the new one if it looks like the same person, but different email addresses, or if it is two different people, I can usually update the company name and other info from the existing record with the same IP address.

Another way this may occur is if someone disables javascript in their browser, in which case none of the field validations work and they can submit the form with required fields missing.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Elliott mentioned if the visitor has javascript disabled the form validation will not work. This is also a symptom of "Spambots" which typically have javascript disabled just for this purpose. There is an article about how to add some code the the <head> of your webpages that prevents visits to a page if javascipt is disabled. Here is a link to the article:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kzd2CAC

What it does is re-direct them to another page of your choosing if javascript is disabled.

I hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have the updated link to this article mentioned in the previous post about Javascript? I know this is an older post, but that link doesn't work.