SOLVED

Subdomains for sending marketing emails

Go to solution
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Subdomains for sending marketing emails

See my edited post above. Unsuccessfully multitasking while on a conf call.

SanfordWhiteman

And if your IT is confused, I explained it all in this post a couple of years ago:https://blog.teknkl.com/your-marketo-spf-entry-doesnt-matter-unless-youre-paying-extra/

Beth_Massura
Level 5 - Champion

Thank you; this was really helpful! I'll be asking our rep about branded sender domains to understand the use case for them better.

Incynthia_Truon
Level 1

@SanfordWhiteman 

Might be a silly question to confirm but..How can i tell if my emails are being sent from a branded sender? I think our general setup doesnt enforce the branded domain but how do i know for sure when i send a formal email to myself. When sending a a formal test email to myself i see the email sender as just whomever i set as the reply name/email. 

Additinally, when using subdomains as the sender/reply to, would this impact email deliverability? 

Thanks in advance!

SanfordWhiteman

The envelope sender info isn't visible unless you inspect the headers.

And even those are not 100% reliable (only server logs are) but in this particular case you can look at the X-Mailfrom header.

SanfordWhiteman

Additinally, when using subdomains as the sender/reply to, would this impact email deliverability? 

Only for the better.

Incynthia_Truon
Level 1

Thank you! I inspected the email header and the it looks like it isn't using the branded domain we had in place in marketo. Phew! 

Thanks again!

SanfordWhiteman

The X-Mailfrom is a subdomain of mktomail.com, then?