Re: StrikeIron and alias emails - false invalid

Anonymous
Not applicable

StrikeIron and alias emails - false invalid

Anyone using StrikeIron experience issue with customers who use email alias for teams falling under suspect / invalid email status code? 

How do you handle and scale? 

Can't allow the status code but need to communicate with customers via alias sometime.

Thanks for any input.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Are these aliases of the well-known variety (info@, support@, etc.)? In my experience --- as someone who's built email verification infrastructure -- making blind assumptions about such addresses being spamtraps is prone to false positives.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We automatically suspend/blacklist any generic email aliases that fall in this category.  Checkout some of the best practices contained in one of Josh Hill's Rockstar Guides: https://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Email-Reputation-Management_108.p...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Janet!

As a StrikeIron customer, I found that pattern match or (alias) emails are a definite gray area. So to keep from automatically marking the pattern match emails invalid, I setup a program just for those type of StrikeIron emails. The idea is to send a few emails and see if they bounce via Marketo or our other programs I have setup to handle bounces.

If they don't bounce and they don't engage, after XX emails sent, I mark them

• Email Invalid = True
  • Email Invalid Reason = with text referencing this specific reason for marking the email address invalid
  • Email Invalid Date = {{system.dateTime}}.
  • Or, depending on your instance and setup you could Mark the email as Marketing Suspended.

If you want to get even more detailed and narrow the focus, you can define engagement as clicked an email link not contains (unsubscribe, privacy policy, etc)

Anonymous
Not applicable

StrikeIron has a Hygiene Status for the Status codes 250 ,250, 270, (not good and not bad, this is the gray area) we only send to those emails with the Hygiene Status of Pattern Match which closely matches the definition of alias.

Try that and monitor the bounces and engagement or lack of engagement, for that set of emails. Doing this will allow you to send 'to the gray' with minimal risk

Happy Sending