Specific fields for specific campaigns best practice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Specific fields for specific campaigns best practice

As a programmer, I am concerned with having multiple unecessary fields for each account e.g.

Campaign A: attributes {sneaker size, sock size, toe ring size}

Campaign B: attributes {head size, hair type, hair color}

Participants in Campaign A will never be a participant in Campaign B, and versa vice.

In marketo, every user has the same attribute list i.e. ALL ATTRIBUTES - so that all users will have both sets of attributes regardless - where those unused fields will be set to null/blank.

for Aaron who signed for Campaign A, I wouldnt want to see head size in his profile (which would always be null)

for Betsy who signed for Campaign B, I wouldnt want to see sneaker size in her profile list (which would always be null) 

Is there no way to get around this? Would this slow down our applications (e.g. once we have 500 campaigns)? Is there no problem in doing this?

Thanks ~

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Specific fields for specific campaigns best practice

David,

If I'm reading this right, you don't want separate fields for each new Form someone needs for a Campaign. I agree, that's a huge waste.

But if you create those fields, then yes, all leads would have the option to have an attribute, even if it doesn't happen for everyone.

There's really no way around this one, other than to figure out how to consolidate the fields. What tends to slow the system down is the use of trigger campaigns and complex smart lists on 10,000+ records.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify, I didn't want the profile to show fields for a user that are all set to null/empty - based on the campaign the user signed up for relative to those other campaigns in the system; however, there is no way around this - as you mentioned.

As always, thanks Josh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it best to prefix custom fields with a campaign abbreviation e.g. i have a campaign for student athlete as a field, which may be diff then a student athlete for a future campaign.

Should I name the field 

"student athlete" OR "haa student athlete"?