SOLVED

Snippets and dynamic content

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Snippets and dynamic content

Hello,

Two questions:

1. Are snippets essential for dynamic content in emails?

2. What are the pros and cons of using snippets for dynamic content in emails?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Snippets and dynamic content

No Snippets are not required for Dynamic content in emails.  In fact I rarely use them.

To make any part of an email dynamic in Marketo simply right click the object and select make dynamic, then choose how to segment it.

The pros of doing it this way is it is all done in one screen, so you can make many aspects of the email dynamic at the same time.

If you use snippets to do this you have to make each specific snippet dynamic in the snippet editor and then refer to the snippet in the email. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Snippets are not required for Dynamic content in emails.  In fact I rarely use them.

To make any part of an email dynamic in Marketo simply right click the object and select make dynamic, then choose how to segment it.

The pros of doing it this way is it is all done in one screen, so you can make many aspects of the email dynamic at the same time.

If you use snippets to do this you have to make each specific snippet dynamic in the snippet editor and then refer to the snippet in the email. 

Tom_Richards
Level 2

I know this is an old thread, but it's a good one. I have a question about this line, "If you use snippets to do this you have to make each specific snippet dynamic in the snippet editor and then refer to the snippet in the email."

I didn't see how to make them dynamic in the editor as an option. When I am building an email and I want to add some dynamic content, adding snippets are not an option for me.

Also, I can add a snippet to a box from the start, then make the box dynamic. The problem is that the snippet I popped in in the first place is not the default.

Is this really an option any more?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

For us, using dynamic snippets (the dynamic logic is contained within the snippet based on segmentations) are a very scalable way to ensure common email elements are kept up-to-date.  See my detailed response that has been marked "correct" in this thread for more information: Re: Custom unsubscribe email footers in Admin ?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Here's an example of our footer snippet that contains dynamic content based on country:

pastedImage_0.png

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Use snippets if and only if your content can be used in a global manner.  For example a localized footer that you can reuse on all of your emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone! That helped.