SOLVED

Re: Smart List to exclude bounced email addresses

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart List to exclude bounced email addresses

Hi everybody,

I totally new to using Marketo so please excuse me if this is a very basic question!

For a webinar we are consucting in a few weeks I have been asked to create a list of german speaking leads whom we can send an invitation to. In order to do this I created a new smartlist with the relevent countries included. This then returned a list of approximately 2500 leads. However I noticed that some of these have previously had emails sent to them which have bounced. 

So my question is how can I add another variable to the smartlist to exclude those with bounced emails?

Any help is greatly appreciated, 

Jenny
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jennifer -

What you should do is create a smart list in the Lead Database named (for example) "Global Exclusion List".

Then add the following filters. Use the logic (ANY)

Unsubscribed = True 
Blacklisted = True
Email Invalid = True
Marketing Suspended = True
Email Address (is empty)

Then on your smart list, add the filter "Member of Smart List"  (not in) Global Exclusion List. This will exclude any of the people who would be blocked from mailing.

The problem with suppressing anyone who has bounced from an email is that a lot of bounces are temporary. Send too many emails to one company, some of them bounce, but the next time they go through. Just bouncing once doesn't mean that a lead can not receive further emails. Instead once Marketo has determined they bounce too many times they set the "Email Invalid" is true flag, that's what you should filter on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hey Jennifer,

All that you'll need to do is drag the "Not Email Bounced" filter into the the Smart List and Select 'Is Any' for the email field.  If you want this filter to apply for all time, simply click the X next tot he Date of Activity constraint.  This will exclude any leads from the list who have had email bounces.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny,

Thank you so much! I had not noticed the not bounced filter before you posted this! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jennifer -

What you should do is create a smart list in the Lead Database named (for example) "Global Exclusion List".

Then add the following filters. Use the logic (ANY)

Unsubscribed = True 
Blacklisted = True
Email Invalid = True
Marketing Suspended = True
Email Address (is empty)

Then on your smart list, add the filter "Member of Smart List"  (not in) Global Exclusion List. This will exclude any of the people who would be blocked from mailing.

The problem with suppressing anyone who has bounced from an email is that a lot of bounces are temporary. Send too many emails to one company, some of them bounce, but the next time they go through. Just bouncing once doesn't mean that a lead can not receive further emails. Instead once Marketo has determined they bounce too many times they set the "Email Invalid" is true flag, that's what you should filter on.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Adam,

Yeah that makes sense that just because an email bounced once it doesnt mean it wont go again another time. Thank you very much for your reply