Re: Smart Campaign Set up and Filtering Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart Campaign Set up and Filtering Question

Hi everyone,

Here's the scenario: I have four asset download smart campaigns for four different pieces of downloadable content. Leads get added to the smart campaign flow and are sent a series of emails based on the content they downloaded. The emails are really similar so if they are part of one campaign flow, I don't want them to go through another flow because it would be like getting two sets of the same emails.

My question is: Is there a way to exclude leads from a smart campaign if they are already part of another smart campaign(s)? So if they downloaded asset one and were entered into smart campaign one, and then they download asset two or three or four, is there a way to block them from entering smart campaign two, three and four and still go through/finish the whole first smart campaign?

In more in direct terms: if a lead is already in smart campaign one, don't add them to smart campaign two, three or four.

Hopefully that makes sense! Thanks in advance for your help.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Raul_Cano2
Level 3

Hi Alison,

What you can do is add the "Member of Smart Campaign: Not In: [smart campaigns 1-3]" and so on for each one of the smart campaigns that you build out.

This will make sure that once a lead goes through one of the smart campaigns, it cannot go through the others.

Raul

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Alison,

To expand on Raul's response, each of your campaigns would have filters in their smart list to filter out members of the other three campaign.

The first would say.

Member of Smart Campaign > Not In 2,3,4

The second would be

Member of Smart Campaign > Not In 1,3,4

etc.

This will prevent anyone in one of the 4 campaigns from being added to any of the other 3.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm... What this says to me is that "only add this person to this campaign if they are not in these other campaigns." So if they are in  campaign 2 or 3, they won't be added to campaign 1, period. From what Raul said though, he makes it sound like if they enter campaign 1 first, and then they download different content and get added to campaigns 2 or 3 soon after, they won't be sent emails from 2 or 3, only emails from campaign 1, correct?

I guess I'm wondering - does Marketo honor the first campaign interaction with this filter. Put a different way: You downloaded content 1, are entered into campaign 1, then you downloaded content 2 and 3, and now your're technically part of campaign 2 and 3, but since you downloaded content 1 first, Marketo will only send emails from smart campaign 1. Is that the right assumption?

Sorry if this is splitting hairs, just want to make sure things are set up right!

Thanks for all your help!

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Alison,

The solutions Raul and I suggested are actually the same.  Each campaign's smart list would prevent leads from entering the campaign if they were already a member of any of the others.  This means that a brand new lead, never in any of the campaigns, could download any of the content.  The first piece they download would add them to the corresponding campaign, and then they would not be eligible for any of the other campaigns.  They would not be added to any of the others, so they wouldn't be sent any emails from any of the others, only the first.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the Member of smart campaign filter and choose "Not in"  your smart campaign you want to exclude